Author Topic: First Gaming Keyboard Help! Rosewill RK-9000RE vs CM Quickfire Rapid  (Read 3299 times)

Offline THCinNYC

Hey Guys,

I will be purchasing my first mechanical keyboard for gaming and need help.
I have been doing some reading on the switches and am torn between Red vs Black.

The Rosewill with Cherry Reds is on sale along with the Quickfire with the Cherry Blacks.
I like the looks of the quickfire as i dont really need the numpad, but the switches matter most to me.

For gaming i play everything but mostly CS and my brother plays HoN.

Could you guys give me a little more input that will help sway my decision?

Offline ih8

Re: First Gaming Keyboard Help! Rosewill RK-9000RE vs CM Quickfire Rapid
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:17:03 »
do you have heavy hands when it comes to using the keyboard?

Offline THCinNYC

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:20:11 »
Dont really know, have always been using cheap keyboards.
I guess i dont press down too heavily

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:27:59 »
The best idea would be to try a keyboard with each switch type, if possible.

If you are going to be doing a lot of typing with the keyboard (as well as gaming), then probably consider reds over blacks unless you have strong fingers.

If you're still not sure, maybe consider reds over blacks as they are probably closer to the average rubber dome keyboard than blacks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ih8

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:36:15 »
Dont really know, have always been using cheap keyboards.
I guess i dont press down too heavily

sent you a message

Offline THCinNYC

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:43:10 »
I was always kind of leaning towards the red's, i imagined they were more sensitive like arcade stick buttons.
Is the Rosewill as good as the CM?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 18:13:30 »
If you're used to regular rubber domes you'll most likely have no problem with blacks.
The first mechanical keys I came across were blacks, at a time when I used a regular rubber dome at home, and I didn't think they were heavy at all.
After a while with mechanical boards, on the other hand, the blacks feel heavy every time I try them (I have a board with blacks I can't actually use with my computer) so I ended up with a QFR with reds as the latest addition to my collection.
On the other hand; I have a friend who went from rubberdomes to blacks and he doesn't think they're heavy at all, even after months of use.

I'd say blacks could be a safer choice than reds, although this is a fairly subjective thing.
In this situation though; I'd say the QFR as the lack of numpad gives you a much more comfortable arm position for both arms, which is really nice when playing FPS games.

In summary; they're both linear switches and the benefit of not having a numpad is greater than the difference between switches, at least for someone coming from domes.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 18:22:24 »
Get both ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 01:47:29 »
The advantage to the MX Black switches would be more towards the gaming side. Because the keys are harder to push down you would suffer less from accidental key presses.

The advantage to the MX Red switches would be more towards every day typing. They are softer so you would suffer from less finger fatigue but accidental key presses may be more frequent.

That being said I'll give my two cents. If you are looking for a gaming keyboard I would go for MX Browns. They are firmer than Reds (barely and probably because of the bump), softer than blacks, and they don't make the clicking sound of the Blues.

The following website always has them on sale for pretty cheap. Here is a link for the Quickfire Rapid w/ Browns. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=72

I personally own a Quickfire with Blue switches and I love it. The only problem I have had with it so far is the print on the key caps have faded. Other than that it has been one of the better and more used keyboards out of my collection.

I also agree with rowdy....get both.

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
    • http://www2.b3ta.com/mind-control/
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 04:56:32 »
nothing to see here folks, move along.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2012, 03:38:25 by angry gamer »

Offline ih8

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 18:36:31 »
the QFR price point is also worth noting, especially currently

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:20:53 »
If you are talking about the Rosewill RK-9000RE series I'd stay away from Rosewill mechanical boards altogether. That USB mini port connection problem is still ongoing, and Rosewill isn't doing anything about it.

Err... it's fixed. I opened up mine to verify. You're spreading and and recommending against things you don't know about.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36106.0

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:23:06 »
OP, the Rosewill and CM quickfire are essentially the same keyboard because they are both made by Costar. It's just a matter of choosing a full size 104 Rosewill or TKL quickfire.

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 03:46:43 »
If you are talking about the Rosewill RK-9000RE series I'd stay away from Rosewill mechanical boards altogether. That USB mini port connection problem is still ongoing, and Rosewill isn't doing anything about it.

Err... it's fixed. I opened up mine to verify. You're spreading and and recommending against things you don't know about.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36106.0

OK, I just saw this and I retract my original statement. No more than two hours before I posted that my RK-9000 had broken off after I soldered it for the third time but this time it is borked completely, and I'm not entirely sure it's from the USB socket there are a few other bad joints on the board. I looked around quite a bit and I couldn't find any proof ANYWHERE that Rosewill had fixed the problem. I think I'll get another one and with a right angle USB cable and something to secure the cable I think I'll be alright. I wonder how strong that glue is, though.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 04:06:24 »
Did your old Rosewill have any sign of that green superglue? What other bad joints did you find? I'm pretty curious to know if old boards had other bad connections other than the connector.

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 05:34:59 »
Did your old Rosewill have any sign of that green superglue? What other bad joints did you find? I'm pretty curious to know if old boards had other bad connections other than the connector.

Nope, no glue, I bought mine in January...and when I read up on the problem this last time, people were reporting the problem all the way up until the last week of September. The numlock light was real wobbly, actually all three of them are but the numlock light was the worst, it fell out the second time I opened it up to solder it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2012, 05:38:52 by angry gamer »

Offline THCinNYC

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 16:53:17 »
thanks guys i went with the QFR with the black cherrys.
Suppose to be here tommorow but this damn hurricane will probably delay that.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 17:14:52 »
Based from the Newegg reviews, it looks like people are reporting problems all the way into September ~ October 2012.  So to be on the safe side I'd go with QuickFire Rapid.

Too bad the red aren't on sale, because I'd actually recommend QuickFire Rapid MX Red.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 17:26:35 »
I have a QuickFire Rapid with MX blacks - so far it is a sold board :)