Author Topic: Benefits of lube and stickers?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline gameaholic

Benefits of lube and stickers?
« on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:29:23 »
Forgive me for not digging through past post but my question is what is the benefit of adding stickers and lube to my keyboard?  I know the stickers are supposed to add stability and make the keys less wobbly but I don't seem to feel my keys wobble.  What about lube?  None of my keys really squeak. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Rumudiez

Re: Benefits of lube and stickers?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:34:31 »
Lube isn't for squeak, it's for linearity/smoothness of depression. I've never used either, but maybe someone who has will give you some personal insight soon~
40% layout, anyone?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:44:26 »
Lube changes how it feels.  Different lube feels differently.  Pretty much covers it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:48:05 »
You'll think your keyboard is just fine the way it is... until you've tried lube. Once you do, it's hard to go back to stock MX switches. I didn't complain about smoothness of the switches before lube either, but once I've tried it, it's smoothness on a whole new level. Stickered switches is subjective though. Probably not worth the time it takes to put the stickers on.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:57:29 »
the stickers dont really make the switch itself less wobbly, but they do stabilize the top half of the switch body, which reduces some noise (i guess? honestly i can't really tell but far be it from me to shy away from modding fads).
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:58:44 »
closest to lube that I've gotten is smearing some bike grease (lol) on the cherry stabilizers.  Made a huge difference so I can see it affecting the 'feel' of a switch.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:27:23 »
I'm pretty sure once enough people install stickers, it'll fade of out popularity just because of how grueling it is to install, without adding much significance to the overall feel.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:48:03 »
So whats the 'best' lube for a linear user? I'm curious to see what all of this lubing business is about and want the maximum effect.