Author Topic: Costar stabiliser pins in QFR vs. SP key caps  (Read 2955 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Costar stabiliser pins in QFR vs. SP key caps
« on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 20:20:50 »
I am swapping my CM QFR (MX blacks fwiw) key caps for another set, and swapping the modifiers for the Red Alert red modifier set.

The Costar stabiliser pins in the QFR standard key caps are a bugger to get out, I almost thought they were glued in, but eventually managed to work two of them out (and almost lost a finger nail in the process).

Putting them in to the SP red modifier keys and they just fall out if you hold the key the right way up - complete contrast to the original key caps.

Anyone else seen this?

Will it render the stabilisers ineffective if the stabiliser pins (is that what they are called?) just seem to fall out?

Is there any simple fix for this?

All of the red modifier caps seem to come off easier than the QFR caps in general - perhaps they just have a bigger + hole underneath?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Costar stabiliser pins in QFR vs. SP key caps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 20:48:30 »
Yes SP caps and Costar stab inserts are not a good fit.  Shim material ranges from plastic wrap to ziplock bags of varying thickness (sandwich, freezer).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
  • www.Keypop.net [키팝.net]
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 22:12:26 »
The stabilizers from wasdkeyboards seem to fit the SP profile keys pretty well.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 23:49:32 »
^ That is good news, as I am hoping to get a WASD key cap set on there eventually :)

Until then, I will try the above suggestions, thanks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 03:01:51 »
It's pretty well known that SP caps are loose on the stabilizers. Use a bag or tape to tape the stabilizer stems first before putting in the stems.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 03:22:34 »
Little slices of zip lock lunch bag worked a treat :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 09:15:50 »
Little slices of zip lock lunch bag worked a treat :)
I had the same issue with cherry POM, and this was the fix. I'm a big fan of LDPE sheets.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 14:17:24 »
Heh that sounds way more technical then my little slices of zip lock lunch bag ;)

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 08:34:28 »
Oh thanks. Finally gpfound a way to fixing my problem.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 06:31:53 »
I just realise this was one of my threads from 11 months ago.

Glad it helped someone else :)

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 19:18:43 »
I don't know if it was mentioned here but; because the qfr keycaps are such a tight fit it really crushes the 'barbs' on the stabilizer inserts. Those little 'barbs' are what hold the insert in & once the barbs are crushed they're going to be looser in SP caps and other not-as-tight caps.

So you're best off starting with NEW stabilizer inserts (available at wasdkeyboards.com), that haven't hard their 'barbs' smooshed by super tight fitting qfr caps. It helps quite a lot.