Author Topic: Colored Choc Mini Keycaps?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline mztriz

Colored Choc Mini Keycaps?
« on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 11:18:00 »
I'm new to this whole mechanical keyboard thing and probably going to buy Noppoo Choc Mini 84  in the next few days.
However, I want to be able to replace the keycaps (all of them) but I have no idea how to go about finding the kecayps.  It seems that some of the keys are non-standard and the sites I've looked at don't have the colors I want. Where should I look to purchase? I drew up a little diagram of what I was thinking...

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2012, 12:47:16 by mztriz »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Colored Choc Mini Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 11:29:26 »
Do you have a white Choc by chance? If so you can dye the keys. Sadly there is not many source of 1.5 modifier key. You could try signiture plastics but unsure if they will have suitable color in stock and having them make some if not is very very very expensive. No one has that size of 5.x spacebar either. so dye is only option there really.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 12:22:00 »
Might have trouble finding the spacebar. What about WASD for the other keys?

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:42:18 »
Do you have a white Choc by chance? If so you can dye the keys. Sadly there is not many source of 1.5 modifier key. You could try signiture plastics but unsure if they will have suitable color in stock and having them make some if not is very very very expensive. No one has that size of 5.x spacebar either. so dye is only option there really.

What do you mean "dye the keys"? We can actually change the colours? :O!!

I read a post about spray painting the keycaps. Is there another method?
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:00:45 »
I don't know the actual process but I believe you can actually chemically dye the plastic to different colour  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:15:44 »
Not the thread I was thinking of, but perhaps better?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg664188#msg664188
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mztriz

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:17:25 »
I ended up ordering the black version, but very interesting! I can see myself using rit dye for other projects.

Don't spray paint your keycaps, I did this about 10 years ago and the paint was forever sticky, uneven and it eventually chipped off in places. Not good.
I believe with rit dye the dye actually penetrates the plastic in the keycap bonding it forever, but the key needs to be in perfect condition as small scratches  will be seen. Another thing to note with rit dye is that it must be done with warm/hot water and has the potential to melt keycaps if not watched or done correctly.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 08:46:45 »

yes you can dye your keycap (white ones of course) to colors of your liking as easy as using RitDye. Has been done by some of the geekhackers.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 10:56:51 »
^ Thank you!
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro