Author Topic: Upgrading my Steelseries 7g; what's comparable?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline nethowler

Upgrading my Steelseries 7g; what's comparable?
« on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 17:13:19 »
My second 7g just died and I want to move up in the keyboard world.  I like the quite linear feel of the 7g and would like to get something similar.  I'm currently looking at the following three options:

DAS keyboard: http://tinyurl.com/9umllrb
Filco Ninja: http://tinyurl.com/9phesgx
CM QF: http://tinyurl.com/9ag6k88

I understand the color of the Cherry switch identifies it's "clickyness" or something.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Upgrading my Steelseries 7g; what's comparable?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 18:09:45 »
If you liked the switch feel of the 7G, you will be looking for another blacks keyboard. Or if you want to try something lighter one with reds. So that puts Das out of the running immediatly as they don't offer those switch type, and they just changed oem and are not as quality as they once were. Filco is considered one of the best, but they are also overpriced in comparision to similar to near identical boards made in the same factory like the CM Rapid, or Rosewill. So I would reccomend CM Rapid if you like a tenkeyless, or Rosewill RK9000 if you want to stick to a 104.
Welcome to GH.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 18:16:47 »
My second 7g just died and I want to move up in the keyboard world.  I like the quite linear feel of the 7g and would like to get something similar.  I'm currently looking at the following three options:

DAS keyboard: http://tinyurl.com/9umllrb
Filco Ninja: http://tinyurl.com/9phesgx
CM QF: http://tinyurl.com/9ag6k88

I understand the color of the Cherry switch identifies it's "clickyness" or something.  Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks for any and all advice!

If you want a Cherry MX Black keyboard just like your Steelseries 7G, you could get a Mionix Zibal 60:

Which is quite good from what I've heard. Just... It's a bit pricey...

A CM Quickfire Rapid is THE best choice if you don't want to spend much on keyboard again and still have some awesome quality.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:50:01 »
If you want a softer switch, go for a CM Storm quick fire mx red else go for a cm storm mx black (same switch as 7g). If you want a switch more suited for typing go for an mx brown although you may not like it.

If you do not like tenkeyless layouts rosewill is a good choice. Otherwise you could try a WASD (from wasdkeyboards) or a TT Meka G1.

They will however feel different since the steelseries has a garbage layout and uses cherry style stabilizers.

The only reason for someone in the US to get a filco is if they want something like a camo case or ninja keycaps because they don't want to buy keys from china. Das (the one you linked) is a decent choice.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:52:48 by stingrae »
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline exousia7

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 01:58:36 »
Have you experienced any other switches? If you are thinking about changing to another different switch then I would say get the DAS keyboard. Otherwise I would go for a CM Storm QFR with black or red switches if you can find them.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 02:09:07 »
Gentlemen, remember, the Das Keyboard is now produced by iOne and there have already been threads where people compared the old Costar models and the new iOnes and the results were just terrible.

I have a Das Keyboard myself, but I can't recommend it anymore.

IF he really wants a Das, it NEEDS to be the model without media keys.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline exousia7

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 02:30:58 »
So the current DAS with all the media keys is from iOne??? -o- god damn it. lol

Offline nethowler

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 14:09:21 »
Wow, so much information.  Thanks everyone.

It looks like DAS is out, as they do not have linear switches and the new model sucks.  (I have tried blue switches on the Razor BlackWidow, okay, but not for me.)
The Filco sure seems nice.  I hear great things and I love the keycaps.  I think price is the only problem.
CM QFR looks like the best option.  I like the idea of having a separate tenkey.

Does anyone know where I can get upgraded keycaps for the QFR?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:25:25 »
Have a look in the groupbuy section here. There are a few interesting sets that will be available.