Author Topic: MX Clears/Greens  (Read 1545 times)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
MX Clears/Greens
« on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:15:28 »
So I have a keyboard with Blues, one with Reds, and my Browns are in the mail. I've tried Blacks and I hate them. So that covers all the basic MX switches. The next things I want to try before I dip into Alps and Topres would be Clears and Greens.

So what would be the best way to go about sampling these? I will not swap out switches on any of my three boards, as I have zero soldering experience and do not want to possibly damage these. So if you suggest buying another cheap board just to change out the switches, what board would you suggest? If there's a better alternative, what might that be?

I'm very open to any options I have and I'm willing to try most anything you guys recommend. However, aside from my current three boards being off limits, the only other issue would be that I'm currently unemployed and don't have much money to spare. So the less costly routes would be my preferred choice.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: MX Clears/Greens
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:19:45 »
The_Ed was selling clear boards  made by Cherry in the classifieds...  Green is going to be really hard to come by on the cheap, even not on the cheap.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:21:29 »
If you're looking for a cheap board to swap out the switches, check out this thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36652.0

I am currently swapping out all the fake Red Kailh switches for Cherry MX Clears.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:27:15 »
Carter announced that Cooler Master is doing a VERY limited run of keyboards with greens, and supposedly Ducky is also introducing a keyboard soon with greens. 

As for clears, like alaric said, your best bet right now is one of The_Ed's clear Cherry POS boards.  Since it's a pcb-mount board it would also be very easy for you to try ergo clears (at least on the switches that don't have LEDs).

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:30:43 »
Carter announced that Cooler Master is doing a VERY limited run of keyboards with greens, and supposedly Ducky is also introducing a keyboard soon with greens. 

Yeah, I was thinking about waiting for the CM board, but I already know that that's going to be out of my price range. And as for the Ducky, it'll probably be the same issue. I'll wait that out and make a decision once there are actual prices to go off of.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:36:52 »
CM boards are actually cheaper than most mechanicals. You can get a QFR for $80, for example. The MX Green edition might be a little bit more, but the new Ducky will certainly be well above the $100 mark from my predictions.
Otherwise, only way to test greens is to find a blue board that uses green for the spacebar or just buy them directly from Cherry or someone who already has.
40% layout, anyone?

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:39:00 »
You forgot about Whites, like the board in my sig. :P i hope that the green boards gain some traction, but I imagine that it is going to be like the clear Leopolds, here and then gone.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:42:51 »
You forgot about Whites

No I didn't. I'm looking specifically for Clears or Greens. Whichever I can acquire first. However, I do plan on dabbling in Whites at some point in the future (:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 19:15:36 »
if you don't mind ghetto, you could get a cheap Cherry G80-whatever in blacks or blues, and get the appropriate stem or spring as needed for greens on the cheap. As the clears board, great to get that, then try greens after by swapping. Probably the best way for the least cost. Though pcb mount feels quite a lot different than plate.