Author Topic: mini usb really worth it?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
mini usb really worth it?
« on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 09:33:30 »
does it ruin the "build" quality for a keyboard?

I heard some rumors that it is suck to have a micro usb (because the connector inside the board will snap or broken). like the RK9000

But for some reason, there is less comments on a KBC poker keyboard.

So if i wanted to get a board with a good quality, will i choose the standard usb or the detactable usb .
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 November 2012, 10:15:30 by xyril »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: micro usb really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 09:54:49 »
the poker and rk9000 use mini usb connectors, not micro usb. imo the problem with the rk9000 is that it's a lot heavier than the poker, has a lot more users, and probably had a few corners cut during wave soldering of the components. regardless, reflowing the usb connector is an easy fix if you know what you're doing.

personally, i prefer detachable usb because it makes it easier to transport a board and gives the board cleaner lines. that said, there are middle grounds. for example, mistakemistake has a hybrid cable that is just a really small USB extension that he will sell you. it also looks quite nice ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: micro usb really worth it?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 10:09:38 »
Either way can be a trade off. Connectors are failure points, but I know a lot of people that tend to wrap cables when they are not detachable which is hard on the solder points as well if wrapped too tightly. But this is mostly an issue for people that need to transport keyboard often to office, lan party, tournaments, etc. For those that leave thier keyboard on the desk 99% of time, I don't see how people manage to break thier usb connectors. I think those are user problem, not manufacturing problem.
I bring my Poker into the office each day, for months now and it gets unplugged and plugged in quite a lot. I always make sure to plug in the cable straight, and gently but securely. It has no sign of a problem so far.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
Re: mini usb really worth it?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 12:14:26 »
I wish keyboards used the USB B type plug instead of Mini and Micro.  I worry for the WASD keyboard as they are going to Micro route too :\
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: mini usb really worth it?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 13:00:48 »
Plugs are always weak and vulnerable.

I have gone inside and hard-wired cords at least a couple of times.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015