Author Topic: Best caps for CM QFR?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline nethowler

Best caps for CM QFR?
« on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 17:10:54 »
Fairly new to the keyboard enthusiast scene here.  MY CM QFR should be arriving tomorrow but from everything I've been reading it comes with poop caps.  What am I to replace them with?  Can some one give me a run down on what the best keycap options are?  And what are OEMs and why does everyone hate them?

Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Best caps for CM QFR?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 17:34:50 »
Almost anything (says another QFR owner who doesn't like the font or the other legends).

In desperation, while I am trying to find a decent set of yellow keycaps, I have replaced mine with an old partially discoloured set from a Link terminal keyboard and a RA modifier set.

IMHO it is improved :)

OEM profile are taller keys - a lot of people prefer Cherry profile which do not sit as high.  I am probably leaning towards this too, but need a few more keycap sets to really make my mind up.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Terrorsathan

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 17:54:11 »
I have some custom OEM profile caps on mine, here's some photos

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 November 2012, 17:58:26 by Terrorsathan »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 18:11:56 »
WASDkeyboards sells ABS sets that you can customize the  legends on... imsto (member/vendor here) sells rather nice PBT sets, but they are pricey.  I have a set of his thick PBT and love em.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 19:32:55 »
I have some custom OEM profile caps on mine, here's some photos

Looks great! Could you please post more photos?  ;D
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline Terrorsathan

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 18:46:02 »
sure, im sorry these photos are so large but its all I have at the moment

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 November 2012, 18:55:56 by Terrorsathan »

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 19:15:18 »
Nothing wrong with the caps that came with the board. However, switching them for PBT's or Double-shots do a couple of things.

1.) Because you spent money on it, you automatically love your board more.
2.) The typing experience changes, due to the density difference between stock and replacement caps
3.) Might look cooler

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 20:04:49 »
sure, im sorry these photos are so large but its all I have at the moment

Really awesome set. I have a QFR too and I'm waiting for a white blank set from WASD.

Thanks for the pictures.
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor