Author Topic: Model M review!  (Read 1169 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Model M review!
« on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 20:20:19 »
I'm typing on my "new" Model M keyboard I just bought through E-Bay.  It is a later Model M, manufactured in Scotland/UK.  The sticker on the bottom indicates that this board was actually made on April 24 2004.  It still has the blue oval in the upper left corner, but there is nothing about this keyboard I can honestly say that I like!  This keyboard is horrible!  I haven't felt like this toward a keyboard in a long time.  I don't know what else to say... This thing just doesn't have the same feel; the same "presence" as my old one.  In Star Trek, when Captain Pickard came on the bridge for the first time, there was no doubt he was "The Captain"!  When Archer went to the Enterprise bridge, there was a distinct lack of presence, confidence or "bigger than life attitude".  That's the way I feel about this keyboard.  I know what part of the difference is.  This board was made in 2004, with a completely different set of materials.  There is no heavy steel plate, the plastics are much thinner, and even the Space-bar is made of a lighter PVC, instead of what it was in the early days of the Model M.  The keyboard is much lighter than my original, the sound "pingy", the keys are noisier.  The entire weight and feel is just,  "off".  The only thing I can attribute the differences to is the cheapness in the new construction vs. the old.  The new keyboard weighs exactly half what my old one weighs.  But while the keys are still the same two piece design, the plastic plate underneath is much lighter as well. 

I even went so far as to pen this keyboard to have a good look inside.  There are no broken plastic rivets, but man the keys on this board feel almost gritty and nowhere near as smooth as they should be.  One thing this board needs is a "floss" mod.  That will dampen some of the pinginess during typing.  I'm also going thinking of adding a piece of felt to the inside bottom of the case between the steel plate and the plastic housing.  Both of these mods were designed to help later Model M keyboards like this a lot quieter. This keyboard doesn't even have Model M designated anywhere on it at all.  If it weren't for the design, and a friend and I looking up the part number, I never would have known that it was considered a Model M.  The really sad part about it is that Unicomp keyboards are far better than this specimen.  That's says volumes; and not only about Unicomp, because they make a decent keyboard. 

Until today, I just though people were being too sensitive.  To tell you the truth; I am seriously displeased, and discouraged with this keyboard.  I really don't like it all that much.  I wonder if the drainage channels have something to do with the added noise I hear coming from the case.  Could they be acting as a sort of small resonance chamber? 

Just think; if I had come across this particular specimen of a keyboard before my other one, I would have forever and completely turned off of the Model M keyboard and just how wonderful these keyboards can be.   Thankfully I know what to expect in a true Model M keyboard. 

Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Model M review!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 20:51:54 »
Would be better if you had changed the title to something like "Newer Model M's Review!" since you've admitted that the new ones are the ones which are bad. It's just something to avoid mistakes by readers or by newbies who may come across your review.

Anyways, we all know that quality stuff made in the 80s were just built to last, while unfortunately most stuff made nowadays are just disposable. We just didn't expect the difference was that huge. Probably they changed the entire keyboards project to lower costs and certainly, the OEM from the old models isn't the same as the new ones.

Same thing happened a few months ago with the Das Keyboard (which ironically, considers itself the IBM Model M successor), when  they changed their OEM to iOne and its quality went on a downhill.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Re: Model M review!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 22:14:23 »
To be completely frank, you hit the nail square on the head.  I know why manufacturers lessen the quality of their products.  Its because that once someone buys that perfect keyboard; one that will never break; one that will never wear out, and finally, one that everyone loves so well; there is no expectation of repeat business.  Why buy a duplicate of something that is assured to never have a problem? Sellers are all on top of that.  That's also why Das Keyboard went with a lower quality OEM supplier.  They introduce fail points, and defective parts knowing that users will eventually have to replace these defective boards.  I have planned obsolescence.  All that means is that the manufacturer has weakened their product so badly that there is virtually no way it will last beyond a certain lifespan.  We're rewarding failure. 

That's the worst plan of all.  We as a society are forced to reward failure.  Sad...

Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------