Author Topic: Hello everyone !  (Read 2444 times)

Offline stonejoint

Hello everyone !
« on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 01:21:04 »
Ive been reading this forum like 2-3 days, I was looking for information about mechanical keyboards, and looks I found the temple of mechanical boards.

Ive read lots of topics and stuff, I am about to buy new keyboard but problem is I live in Turkey so I lack options of keyboards which is mechanical. And worst I dont have any luck to test them before buying. So I have to trust your experience.

My options : Blackwidow, 6gv2 and Zowie Celeritas. Brown, Black, Brown.

But I can order any of the other boards Filco, Das Keyboard, Leopold and stuff like that but they cost 40-50$ more shipment cost and long wait time like 20 days. and I may get extra charge at customs.

It's not cool to open this thread in welcome section, But It's also my 1st thread and post.

I am using G15 logtiech membrane keyboard at the moment.

Problems with that is while I am typing I press accidently more than one key.
I play all kind of games Dota 2, Gw2 and Just bought Natural Selection 2 but not SC2.

This will be my 1st mechanical keyboard and this will be gaming focused for later I get into mechanical keyboards Ill try to find most silence typing keyboard for my office.

Great forum thanks for help, sorry for typos and questions in welcome section.
CM QFR Black Filco MJ2 Red
Vortex Poker 2 Brown

Offline jeroplane

Re: Hello everyone !
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 01:27:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack. :)

Unfortunately the keyboards that you've named as your options aren't some of the most popular around here... The Blackwidow especially is regarded as having poor build quality and is overpriced for what you get.

The other options you've mentioned - Filco, Das (not the newer versions), Leopold - are all solid boards. CM Quickfire Rapid is also a very popular choice these days.

You should first decide on what switches you might want. If you say that you accidentally press more than one key, perhaps heavier keys may be better. Brown and Red might be too light, but Blacks or Greens might fit what you are looking for. Blues would be in the middle.

Also, what layout are you looking for? Full size or something smaller?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2012, 01:28:56 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline stonejoint

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 01:43:48 »
I am ok. with numpad but I can get used to any layout becuase important side is left side of keyboard for me.

I also dont like blackwidow, its fancy looking my other options 6gv2 and celeritas. I know these brands are not focused at keyboard production and they are not best, But distributors import them.

I think Ill go Celeritas for my 1st board. at xmas a friend will be coming from US. and Ill order Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless.

I didnt felt any of mechanical switch yet but I feel like brown will be my choice. but Still confused about black. But prolly for the future when I touch these keyboards I feel like Ill have them all swtiches :).
Vortex Poker 2 Brown

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 03:21:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You are in an unfortunate position, not being able to try keyboards before you buy, and also having a limited range.

I also did not have the opportunity to test first, but I selected a Ducky Shine and I really like it.  My second was also a Ducky Shine.  My third was a CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid.

The first two have MX blues, the third has MX blacks.  Blacks (heavier) or reds (lighter) would probably be more like rubber dome, if you are used to and like that feel.

Blues are clicky with tactile feedback (a slight bump as you press the key down).  Browns are tactile with no click, but a very soft bump as you press down.

If it turns out that you do not like your first keyboard, you could either try to sell it here, or sell it to a friend :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 03:27:57 »
Blacks (heavier) or reds (lighter) would probably be more like rubber dome, if you are used to and like that feel.

Sounds like someone's forgotten what rubberdomes feel like (which I guess is a good thing!). :p Rubberdomes are quite tactile, with an even more pronounced bump than Blues.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline stonejoint

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 03:31:28 »
 CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid this one I can find in Turkey may be. Ive send mail to coolermaster turkey about it.

Vortex Poker 2 Brown

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 03:37:02 »
Blacks (heavier) or reds (lighter) would probably be more like rubber dome, if you are used to and like that feel.

Sounds like someone's forgotten what rubberdomes feel like (which I guess is a good thing!). :p Rubberdomes are quite tactile, with an even more pronounced bump than Blues.

Nope - got one on my server.  Horrible, it is.  Just springy, rubbery keys.

CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid this one I can find in Turkey may be. Ive send mail to coolermaster turkey about it.

The QFR is very similar to Filco, same sort of quality.  Several people have bought them recently, and been very happy with them.

The biggest question is whether you can get one with Cherry MX green switches (unlikely, so don't worry about it).

The second biggest question is whether you can get one with no branding.  CoolerMaster like to put their name everywhere - top of the keyboard, bottom, Windows keys, and splashed right across the space bar.  Some newer ones have almost no branding, and they look much cleaner.  Mine has branding, but I have swapped most of the key caps anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 23:20:00 »

Where are you? Cos CM storm is a great board and very easily acquired in most places.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 09:25:06 »
The second biggest question is whether you can get one with no branding.  CoolerMaster like to put their name everywhere - top of the keyboard, bottom, Windows keys, and splashed right across the space bar.  Some newer ones have almost no branding, and they look much cleaner.  Mine has branding, but I have swapped most of the key caps anyway.

And if that ain't enough branding for ya, you can always make your own custom accessories for it:

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Anyways, welcome to Geekhack! As you can see, we're all a bunch of friendly crazy folk, you'll get used to it sooner or later.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline stonejoint

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 12:40:01 »
finally i got my 2nd mechanical board after blackwidow. I got cm storm quickfire black swtich.

1st I had some concerns about black switch stiffness now I can see that black is very ncie which is not that hard I know blue switch from blackwidow i can say that linear is way better than tactile feedback for me.

Ill order red very soon but know I am enjoin my typing thanks geekhack for splashling this new addiction to me(and guiding me to find best suitable board) . Now I have to try reds this is not going to end well.
Vortex Poker 2 Brown

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 15:09:40 »
You're welcome :)

My QFR with blacks is great, I just wish I had more opportunity to use it.