Author Topic: IBM PS/2 (not the connector, the PC)  (Read 1689 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
IBM PS/2 (not the connector, the PC)
« on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 20:25:49 »
I was starting to help clean out my parent's basement for the holidays and I decided to finally dig out my old IBM PS/2 model 56 and try to boot it up.  This thing is old and it has taken a beating.  It was in service for years at a large company before they abandoned it.  It sat in the basement for maybe 9 years?  Was it broken?  Hell no.  This thing is heavy duty.  As I found it described...

It was intended for government use and had to obey special safety regulations. Thus it has an all-metal case that even covers the floor and makes it extremely heavy, and a special switch that ensured it could not be powered on with the case off.

Anyway, I plugged it in and it booted up fine!  The internal battery didn't even die!  Played with Windows 95 and played DOOM in DOS  ;D

Check it out, here

Anyway, this is how I got my model M.  I think the model M has a reputation for being almost invincible, and this PC is another example of that kind of build quality.  It's a tank.  If you ever wonder what kind of machine that keyboard was meant to be hooked up to, look no further.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: IBM PS/2 (not the connector, the PC)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 20:28:27 »
haha sweet. i can't believe the thing booted with a hard drive that old. i love older desktop-style workstations, been thinking about doing a hackintosh in a case like that for a while.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 20:40:41 »
IBM stuff was made to last, and not just the keyboards.

No-one ever got fired for buying IBM ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:50:08 »
I have a nice 486 box that is untested but probably works great. There is one trim strip along one edge that came loose but could easily be reattached with hot glue. Otherwise it is very clean and nice.

I would sell it, but shipping to anywhere would be obscenely expensive.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 22:33:51 »
IBM stuff was made to last, and not just the keyboards.

No-one ever got fired for buying IBM ;)
The thinkpad T series comes to mind.  I own two.  Why they had a magnesium rollcage or screen back I will never know.  But it is certainly welcome in a world of creaky plastic laptops.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:15:19 »
I've got a few PC's from that era--one 486 and 3 Pentiums. All great machines! Most all of them are running on all original components, including hard disks and floppy disk drives, too and still run great. I run Windows 3.1 on most of them, and have them all on the Internet.

If you can get your hands on an old ethernet card and some extra RAM to throw in that machine, I bet you could get it on the high-speed Internet in no time.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS