Author Topic: Greetings Keyboardlings...  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Truday

• Grunt Life
Greetings Keyboardlings...
« on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 05:38:39 »
Hello everyone! Recently discovered mechanical keyboards in the past couple months. Been lurking a lot on this forum absorbing information. Currently recovering from an injury obtained in Afghanistan. Got a lot of spare time on my hands and spent a little too much money on computer toys lately... especially keyboards (5 CURRENTLY IN THE MAIL!!! The 5 boards coming are 1x Year of the Dragon Blue on Blue [definitely going to keep this one], 3x Ducky Shine 2's consisting of Red on Red, Browns with green LED, and Blacks with white LED plus 4x sets of Ducky PBT keycaps and 1x CoolerMaster QuickFire TK with Red switches. :eek:) Girlfriend will kill me if she finds out... :-X :rolleyes: Probably won't keep all of them, really want to find out what switches I really like since I've only tried Blues for gaming/typing. Currently typing on a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 which ultimately (no pun intended :p) I'm going to return. Not a horrible keyboard, but definitely not worth $140 IMO (Razer Synapse 2.0 software is pretty corrupt from what I've read.) And I fell in love with TKL boards. Will be lurking more than contributing for the time being. Anyway.. Happy Keyboarding!

-Truday OUT!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 05:50:10 by Truday »
Currently own:
Noppoo Choc Mini Noppoo Choc Mini, CM QuickFire TK,CM QuickFire Rapid
CM QuickFire Rapid

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Greetings Keyboardlings...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 05:43:17 »
Dude, you bought 5 keyboards before you even registered on forum? If you spend that much now, I wonder how much you're going to be spending once you get fully addicted. Don't look at the Group Buy or classifieds sections lol.

What are your other 4 keyboards? Welcome to GH  ;)

Offline Truday

• Grunt Life
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 05:58:47 »
Heh, sorry my post was a little unorganized. Cleaned it up a little to make it clearer I hope. Right now I only have 1x keyboard (Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 which is going to be returned.) 1x Ducky YOTD, 3x Ducky Shine 2's and 1x CoolerMaster QuickFire TK should be arriving tomorrow. Yeah I'm already pretty addicted. :-[ The guy's over at mechanicalkeyboards.com even called me to make sure I was sure I wanted to order all those keyboards :)). Quick note, the GM I talked to was pretty nice and treated me to some interesting information that they will be selling some Ducky Cherry MX Green TKL/Full size boards in the very near future. But yeah I don't plan on keeping all of them. Gut is telling me that I'm going to be keeping the Browns/Reds. I feel kind of guilty for ordering all of those boards when I'm already planning on returning some. But right now I can't drive because of the meds I'm on plus I'm in a wheelchair. So it's really the only way I can test out the different keys. However, I'm definitely keeping the Ducky Year of the Dragon Blue's since it's a limited edition and I was also born in the year of the dragon. I've done lots of research reading and watching reviews and the Ducky's seem to be one of if not the best quality keyboards that are backlit. But yeah you're right I probably shouldn't look at those sections. ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 06:06:38 by Truday »
Currently own:
CM QuickFire Rapid

Offline iArson

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 08:02:14 »
Welcome :D and yeah don't go there, I've already started browsing/buying and there is too many good things here.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 08:16:43 »
^ seconded.

I have already spent *slightly* too much within the 1 month I have been around GH LOL.

THE CLASSIFIEDS AND GB SECTION ARE TOO TEMPTING!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 08:53:45 »
Welcome to GH! Thank you for serving, by the way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 14:59:41 »
Quick note, the GM I talked to was pretty nice and treated me to some interesting information that they will be selling some Ducky Cherry MX Green TKL/Full size boards in the very near future.

LET THE RUMOURS BEGIN!!!!1!11!!one!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:38:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack! You're one keyboard fiend. :)
I love Elzy

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 04:01:11 »
Herro.

Long live Israel!!!

SmallFry! <3

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:19:47 »

Yeah Razer's kinda the Apple of peripherals now...shame, i used to really like them. Its ok, there's a ton of keyboards you can get after returning that BW!
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Truday

• Grunt Life
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 22:50:49 »
Thank's everyone for the warm welcome! I will post some pics in another thread, might even do an overall review of all the keyboards together. Interestingly enough, the one keyboard that I planned on keeping for sure, the Duck Shine Year of the Dragon w/ Cherry MX Blues w/ Blue LEDs is the one I will be returning. To me it felt like the cheapest of the bunch. I didn't feel like the blue's felt like they were brand new, felt like they were worn in somehow. I dare even say I liked the feel of the blue's on the Razer BWU 2013 I am also returning! They just weren't clicky enough for blues in my opinion. Also my "O" switch doesn't click at all, which I know it's only one key, but it's a primary key, not like it's in the cluster above the arrow keys that no one uses. I mean it's supposed to be "brand new" and it's also a limited edition. If I were wanting to just shelve it and sell it later on then come to find out the "O" key doesn't work right after no use I'd be pretty ticked. Good news though is I like all the other keyboards. The Reds are just amazing  :-* and are probably my favorite. It is really like typing on boobs. They just flow so nicely and are also great to type on. I also really like the browns and I am alternating the two frequently. I like to use the browns if I'm not gaming and doing more typing. The blacks are ok, I would definitely use blacks over a rubber dome or scissor switch board any day. I think the blacks would take awhile to get used to but still a pretty good key especially for gaming especially if you're prone to accidental key presses.

@hazeluff Yeah I really wanted to like the Razer BWU 2013. I mean it's a great concept for a keyboard and really appeals to gamer's. If the quality was that of a Filco, Ducky, DAS etc. then I'd probably consider buying another one. But there's also some other things to consider. Their Razer Synapse 2.0 software is known for not respecting user privacy at all and basically says they can sell your info from what I've read. And they market the keyboard for gamer's obviously, yet their flagship model has cherry mx blue's? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. At least SteelSeries uses Blacks for their gaming keyboards. (IMO Reds>Browns/Blacks>Blues for gaming.) I will give Razer that they do offer the Stealth edition with browns and but you have to buy it exclusively through Razer therefore cannot get an extended warranty from a website like NewEgg.com And Razer isn't known for their superior customer satisfaction. Glad I bought mine from NewEgg. They do also offer a TKL tournament edition. Anyway, it's just kind of sad to see right now that a company with so much potential cares more about making a buck than making quality products. Basically making their customers buy a keyboard after the warranty expires on it. Also kind of scary that it's still so popular because many people don't do enough research. Still a top seller on Amazon.com Anyway, enough of that rant.  :rolleyes:

-Truday
Currently own:
CM QuickFire Rapid

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 23:16:44 »
Steelseries also sells Cherry MX Red keyboards, though it seems they're not all that famous:
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-6Gv2-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B008OQTGBQ

The Cherry MX Black seems like the standard version, so, most people haven't heard of this one.

Anyways, after I learned about more keyboards (such as the Aziotech Levetron Mech4 and the Corsair K90), although the Razer Blackwidow is indeed not a nice board for its price, it's surely not the worst of its kind. Seriously, there's worse boards than the Blackwidow out there, which kinda scares me.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 01:15:13 »
Yeah Razer's kinda the Apple of peripherals now...shame

So I am not the only one that thinks this...
I don't dislike Razer as much as I dislike Apple though. Apple is of the point of no return. Razer still has time... Hopefully...
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 03:37:29 »
"the Apple of peripherals" - you mean well made, aesthetic, functional and slightly more expensive?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 04:14:30 »
More like their business style and business propaganda.
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 14:55:20 »
Ah, ok then.