Author Topic: Get rid of Windows branding - fun!  (Read 3003 times)

Offline whiskerBox

Get rid of Windows branding - fun!
« on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 10:55:20 »
Hey guys,

As some of you know I have been a Mac guy for most of my life until I recently started a new job. So as of lately I have basically been using Windows exclusively and I actually like it lol. There are so many cool little things you can customize and make your own. I am sure a lot of you are light years ahead of me on this, but I thought it was a neat little tweak and I would share what I did. So just ignore this thread if you think it is elementary or simple Kk.

So on the lock screen I hated seeing the the "Windows blah blah Edition" on the bottom of the screen. Well you can change that to anything you want provided the it is 361 x 58px and a .png using Windows 7 Logon branding changer.

So I started by finding something I thought might look cool, A skull and bones logo. Sure why not.

Problem was it was 300x260, So I resized it to a height of 50px keeping constraints and bam it was cool. Now keep in mind the total image size still needs to be 361 x 58px or your image will stretch. So with that being known (after trial and error) I placed my tiny little skull in the middle of a transparent image(sized 361 x 58px) and now it was ready to roll.

I also applied some filters to make it pop a little.

Once the image is ready its really simple, just load it into the "Windows 7 Logon Branding Changer" (<-- the name of the program should be longer)  and hit apply. It does all the work for you and lets you know when it is done.

And that's it no more branding on your logon or lock screen
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Get rid of Windows branding - fun!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 11:44:15 »
SWEET! Thanks!

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 11:50:58 »
If your using photoshop its really easy to make these using different brushes.

literally took 2 min to make these and they have a bajillion free brushes you can download

I saved this one as dangwang.png without even thinking just an automatic response rofl

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 11:53:10 »
ROFL!

Offline Peter

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 13:09:21 »
What the **** is wrong with you dude ??
Do you really want to promote this mass-murdering scumbags agenda ???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_and_Bones

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 14:22:21 »
If you read the OP you'll see he states he was just looking for something cool and found a cool skull logo.

As for customizing Windows... I don't think my Windows has looked default for more than a week at the time.

Offline blighty

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 14:41:04 »

Say what you will, GWB was the best stand-up comedian the world has ever seen.

On topic:  Awesome find for changing the lock screen pic.  :D
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 22:03:54 »

Whoa this just got way too political. I find the skull and bones interesting and that's as far as I take it. I was merely using that logo as an example (could not find a cat skull :(

Also did you read this in the article:
"In The Simpsons, the character Montgomery Burns attended Yale and was a member of Skull and Bones.[49]"
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 22:06:54 by whiskerBox »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 14:33:15 »
I take mine really far, and disassemble the authui.dll and change the entire logon screen. I also do that sort of thing for other files to change the gui and all the icons and all sorts of things. Looking at my pc, most people have no idea I am running windows at all. I've been a customizer for a long time, and do it at the system level by modify os files.
I've been looking into what I can do with 8, and where they have moved things, then maybe I might switch once I have resolved all the things I dislike about the gui.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 14:35:29 »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Malphas

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 15:07:13 »
get rid of windows branding
Yes, and here are some other ways to get rid of Windows branding on par with using Debian (and Linux in general):

, , ,