Author Topic: Keycap height on CM Quickfire Rapid  (Read 4409 times)

Offline tinyblob

Keycap height on CM Quickfire Rapid
« on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:09:37 »
Hi there,

I've been using a Raptor Gaming K1 keyboard for a while with Cherry MX switches, I picked up a few replacement keys from QWERkeys for it.

I've just received a CM Quickfire Rapid, and I see immediately that the keycaps are a different height. If I was to put the caps from QWERkeys or the K1 onto it they'd be a few mm lower than the other keys.

This is possibly a stupid question (I'm new to this), but I thought there were set heights, and that's why the keys are so interchangeable? Are the CM keys especially tall? Does this mean I have to do an all or nothing replacement, not just some of them?

Thanks!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: Keycap height on CM Quickfire Rapid
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:14:32 »
K1 use Cherry profile keys that are lower. Almost everyone else use taller keys.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:14:50 »
They are different height profiles. The taller ones on the CM Storm are what is referred to as OEM profile. OEM profile are used on CM Storm, Filcos, Das, among others.

The Raptor K1 is based on a Cherry board, so it used Cherry profile. They are shorter than OEM.

Then there is SP profile, from Signature Plastics. They are very similar in height to Cherry, but there are some differences in them.

Offline tinyblob

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:19:55 »
Hmm, I didn't know this. So the keycaps I bought from QWERkeys are also the Cherry profile.

I was going to buy this set from WASD: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/88-key-iso-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

It's referred to as a Cherry MX set, does that mean they'll be the Cherry profile, and therefore shorter than OEM profile keys on the CM? I'm desperate to get rid of them, I don't like the font at all!

Offline asdf

• Tuesday, 11 November 2008, 20:17:05
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:28:55 »
I was going to buy this set from WASD: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/88-key-iso-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html
It's referred to as a Cherry MX set, does that mean they'll be the Cherry profile, and therefore shorter than OEM profile keys on the CM?
No, WASD (also Filco and Das) uses the OEM profile

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:32:54 »
Hmm, I didn't know this. So the keycaps I bought from QWERkeys are also the Cherry profile.

It's referred to as a Cherry MX set, does that mean they'll be the Cherry profile, and therefore shorter than OEM profile keys on the CM? I'm desperate to get rid of them, I don't like the font at all!
Calling it a Cherry MX set only means it will go on Cherry MX switches. As asdf said, WASD will be OEM profile as well.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:33:04 »
To answer the other half, Cherry MX will refer to the stem compatibility so that the cap fits on the switch.  Since the bulk of the market uses OEM profile very few places care to point it out.

Alps and Topre are 2 other stem/switch types.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline tinyblob

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 05:49:02 »
Thanks for the information all.

I've tried out the Cherry profile keys from my K1 on the CM, and I much prefer the height. Which is annoying because I was just about to pull the trigger on a coloured set from WASD. Any suggestions on my best bet for finding a set of orange ISO layout keys in Cherry profile that'll fit the CM Rapid?

I'm looking at QWERkeys at the moment, but I'm confused by their offerings and they don't seem to do full sets.

I feel like this is going to get very expensive very quickly!

Offline rainbowshy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 10:28:27 »
I'm in the same boat. You could scavenge the keycaps from a cherry board, or you could try out SP's keys which are also lower.
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Brown | QPad MK-50 MX Red

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 15:50:35 »
According to what I read:

Cherry Profile is shortest.
Signature Plastics Profile is a little bit taller than Cherry Profile.
OEM Profile is a little bit taller than Signature Plastics Profile.

Is that not true?  Can anyone confirm for a fact?

I agree with the OP, trying to replace the crappy keys that come with the CM QFR is a complicated pain.

I personally require OEM profile in order to be 100% compatible with crashpads.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline tinyblob

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 06:34:51 »
I personally require OEM profile in order to be 100% compatible with crashpads.

What are crashpads?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 07:16:19 »
SP profile is ever so slightly taller than Cherry, more so on the bottom couple rows. OEM profile is much noticeably taller.