Author Topic: A good quality keyboard on the cheap-ish that isn't the QFR  (Read 3089 times)

Offline LollyWater

A good quality keyboard on the cheap-ish that isn't the QFR
« on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 11:41:01 »
Any recommendations?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: A good quality keyboard on the cheap-ish that isn't the QFR
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 11:47:50 »
And if you live in Europe or South America, try looking for the Ozone Strike. Here in Brazil the difference is quite small:

CM Quickfire Rapid = US$ 140
Ozone Strike = US$ 160
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 11:50:30 »
Any recommendations?
Not keen on the Poker afterall?
Might help if you tell us your country as well, so that we can see if shipping makes the keyboard too expensive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2012, 11:52:32 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:05:13 »
Believe me, I would love a Poker but I need dedicated arrow keys. I play too many platformers to get by with just Win, Ctrl and the Menu key. The Poker "2" looks great but I'm not sure I can wait another few months for a keyboard.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 14:18:06 »
Noppoo choc mini. Has dedicated arrow keys and is built like a tank!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline Batmann

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 14:19:50 »

I concur

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 15:04:22 »

I concur

The problem is because of the compressed layout a lot of the keys are irreplaceable with custom PBT caps. Thank you, Though.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 00:41:25 »
What's wrong with the QFR?

Offline phx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 01:44:42 »
Rosewill RK9000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007651&IsNodeId=1&Description=rosewill%20mechanical&name=Keyboards&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

Often on sale for ~$60
seconded on this.
it's what I'm currently typing on, but I gotta admit I like QFR better.

it... just... feels different. can't explain it

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:18:53 »
Rosewill RK9000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007651&IsNodeId=1&Description=rosewill%20mechanical&name=Keyboards&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

Often on sale for ~$60
seconded on this.

Well, it really depends on the OP's location as to whether that is a decent price to get or not.. since they've still not told us, it's hard to get an idea. Newegg don't ship internationally, so if they are in America that's fine, other wise it's a no go unless they get a proxy and that puts the price up at least $50.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:44:01 »
Rosewill RK9000

Often on sale for ~$60
seconded on this.

Well, it really depends on the OP's location as to whether that is a decent price to get or not.. since they've still not told us, it's hard to get an idea. Newegg don't ship internationally, so if they are in America that's fine, other wise it's a no go unless they get a proxy and that puts the price up at least $50.

Sorry, Mates. I reside in Australia

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:53:36 »
Well in that case, chances of getting a Rosewill on special, especially that cheap as above is very unlikely. PCCG (PC Case Gear) have the Leopold's for $120, I realise it's annoying having to be picky about what spacebar you can use with it, but other than that and QFR's, I can't think of many to recommend at the moment.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:13:31 »
In Australia?  That's sad, our choice is much more limited.

A CM QFR is really the best cheap keyboard available $82 from CPL.

If you really don't want a QFR, then a Leopold F700R from PCCG at about $120 is the next cheapest.

Then you get up to about $150, where most of the other models start, like Ducky and Filco.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:14:57 »
Or the TKL Ducky is coming out at PCCG soon for $140.

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:17:36 »
The Ducky DK9087G2 PRO PBT TKL looks nice. But the shipping at mechanicalkeyboards.com is crazy.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:22:13 »
You will find their shipping is around normal rate from America to Australia. Shipping on keyboards usually ranges from $50 to $73ish.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 11:02:47 »
Seriously.. what's wrong with the QFR? (aside from branding)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 11:18:39 »
@daerid

Most of the branding has been removed.  CM listens to their customers and adapts their product accordingly.

@LollyWater
I have contacted a guy at CM to see if he knows a good way for you to get a CM  QuickFire Rapid at a good price.

I sympathize with you a lot.  I wasted so many hours looking at stupid keyboards that have chopped off important keys, like the cursor keys.  Ugh.  I need my cursor keys!  I can survive without a numberpad.  But seriously, I would literally die without the cursor keys.

If CM does not answer me within 24 hours I will try to get you one myself and ship it to you.  But shipping from USA is a lot.  I figure it will cost you about $130.00  USD delivered.  Are you willing to pay that much? (yes/no)

This is just a one time offer, and I am only offering to help you because I am about to order 1 or 2 of them for myself.  I just can't make up my mind to get 1 or 2... hmmmm... decisions, decisions....  Or I could get 2 and just sell the 2nd one to you at my cost + shipping.  Like I said, one time only deal and only because I am ordering myself a QFR today or tomorrow.  I am not going to do this for 20 different people.  I am not running a keyboard business.  I only do Cherry Reds.

Does anyone out there know how I would ship a keyboard from USA to Australia for the best price?  Is it complicated?  I have sent letters to Australia and NZ before.  that is dead easy.  But boxes are different.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 11:32:44 »
You'd have to go to the post office or whatever and get a box/bag that is the correct size and go from there I guess. But QFR's are available in Australia, so it would be easier for LollyWater to purchase one here, I dare say, even though it's near guaranteed to have branding.

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:00:19 »
Wow, Man! I really appreciate what you're doing for me here but MissMurd3r84 is correct. QFR's are available here in Australia and once again that American shipping screws me over.

Seriously.. what's wrong with the QFR? (aside from branding)

There's nothing wrong with the QFR. I'm thinking of just buying one today. It's just about variety, that's all. Having said that not liking red back plate or the excessive branding did factor in. I didn't want the back plate and branding to take away from the keys I will eventually be putting on it. I've come around, though.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:07:23 »
The MX Green version of the QFR has a black backplate and no branding on the front. There is a logo, but it's on the back edge of the board, out of view. The others are still a gamble. I think only the MX Red version has a red backplate. The others are grey case with black plate. I've heard people who ordered through CM's site who had success with asking for a logo free version in the comments when placing their order.

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:39:59 »
The back plate isn't really an issue anymore. I'll inquire about the branding, Thanks.

No online store available for Australia.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:52:04 by LollyWater »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 01:25:55 »
Razer tenkeyless edition?

You could chexk out the chinese sites for cheap boards. Though I am not sure about the shipping down there.

Hmm. Does stselseries retail down there?
SmallFry! <3