Author Topic: Back Lit Keycaps for Ducky Shine 2  (Read 6688 times)

Offline firebt

Back Lit Keycaps for Ducky Shine 2
« on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 12:23:05 »
Hey,

Currently looking for some different color keycaps for my Ducky Shine 2  :D  Just got it the other day (White LED Cherry MX Reds) and I love it, but I want the reactive to show more.  I've been eyeing the KBC semi-clears from Feng on eBay, but was looking to see if there were any other solid options like the stock keycaps where only the letter shines through.  The red ones that light up partially are cool too that came from Ducky.  Is there any way to get more of these but maybe in a larger set and in different colors?  I've heard of people having lavender color ones, mine are red. Thanks in advance.

Tommy

Offline phx

Re: Back Lit Keycaps for Ducky Shine 2
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 13:17:46 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 15:36:22 »
In general backlit keyboards coms with black keys with translucent/transparent letters burned into them, allowing the light to shine through the letters but not the keycap itself.

Most other colours would let the backlighting shine through the keycap, diminishing the effect of illuminating the letter on the keycap.

There are a few, a very few, novelty backlit keycaps with symbols on them (skull, flame etc.).

Or there are solid colour translucent keycaps that generally just glow.  Or fully transparent keycaps which look kinda cool.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 19:37:22 »
Iirc, Ducky will soon be releasing colored keys for backlit boards.

Offline firebt

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 22:30:56 »
Oh really? Any expected dates? :) Yeah I was looking at feng's semi-clear keycaps...I think those are cool so that when it's off or in reactive mode it still looks pretty black.  Not to mention, $1.00 per keycap is pretty pricey compared to feng's 104 for $30 shipped lol. But thanks, those do look pretty sweet maybe I'll use them for my macro keys. 

Offline firebt

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:47:12 »
I'm actually particularly looking for keycaps like these .  See how the light bleeds through but not all the way through like a translucent one?  I was hoping they would have a set like this in blue.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:41:26 »
No date last I checked, but I haven't been keeping a close watch. Their Facebook page may have something, but I can't check (no account).

Offline firebt

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 16:42:22 »
I found one supplier than can custom make them, but they're pretty expensive. They're translucent caps that are initially painted with a coat of enamel then the layer of paint for the legend is cut out again, so yeah, relatively expensive process. Hopefully I can save for some or wait until Ducky makes sets of them.  Thanks anyways.  :)

Offline Kronen

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 22:49:17 »
I found one supplier than can custom make them, but they're pretty expensive. They're translucent caps that are initially painted with a coat of enamel then the layer of paint for the legend is cut out again, so yeah, relatively expensive process. Hopefully I can save for some or wait until Ducky makes sets of them.  Thanks anyways.  :)

I would be very interested in that supplier if you wouldn't mind.  I've been scouring the interwebs for months for a white cap with translucent legend set to no avail.  Any feedback would be helpful :-)!  Maxkeyboards.com and the rabbitfac are the only good leads I've had.
Interested in some O-Rings? Try mine: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33329.0

Offline firebt

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 23:22:31 »
Yeah, sure.  Its www.keycapsdirect.com.  They can custom make backlit keycaps, check their "What's New" section.  I must warn you though, they are really expensive as they require minimum orders of $100, and for custom work, I think you have to order at least 10 sets, costing $40 each or something. That's why I didn't pursue further. If you can organize a group buy I would definitely be in. Good luck!