Author Topic: Buying 3rd Mechanical, need help from you delightful lot.  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Lycoth

Buying 3rd Mechanical, need help from you delightful lot.
« on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 04:18:48 »
Hello.

New user, long time lurker! Nice to meet you all.

I'm currently looking at buying my 3rd Mechanical, and I plan on doing it right this time.

Firstly I had a Razer Blackwidow. Didn't actually have any problems besides the gloss, but I got rid of it quite soon. Then I got the Steelseries 6GV2. After about only 6 months it's on its last legs.

After using the MX Blues and Blacks, I've decided to settle in the middle for Browns. I originally wanted a backlit keyboard but after research on here and other forums I've decided against it for the general build quality (Previously I was looking at the Ducky Shine 2, but this is purely for looks as I can touch type perfectly fine).

I think at the moment i'm most likely to go for the Filco Majestouch 2. It seems like a safe buy and a very well loved keyboard, but I was wondering if anybody had anything else to recommend?

I was also looking at CM Storm Quickfire Pro /  Trigger, Das Professional and Max Nighthawk X8, but all in all it always seems to point to the Filco.

I apologise for my vague question, just hoping to not make a 3rd mistake, as where I am it's pretty much impossible for me to try out any keyboards before I buy them, so I have to settle for blind optimism. (Or with the help of you guys, well educated optimism).

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
Re: Buying 3rd Mechanical, need help from you delightful lot.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 04:29:42 »
You can't go wrong with Filco.

But if you're on a tight budget, you can go for the quickfire rapid from CM storm. it's essentially the same as the filco majestouch 2, but with the branding.

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 04:35:02 »
Not on a tight budget. I prefer the look of the Filco, tho the QFR is a LOT cheaper. Is the Quickfire Pro also essentially the same or only the rapid? I don't like TKL at all. And if it is the same, what are the drawbacks other than the branding? 80% extra is a lot just for it being more plain.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 04:37:41 »
You don't want the quick fire pro, its made by the same oem as the blackwidow.

Quick fire rapid and quick fire trigger are both made by costar and are solid keyboards

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 05:18:46 »
Not on a tight budget. I prefer the look of the Filco, tho the QFR is a LOT cheaper. Is the Quickfire Pro also essentially the same or only the rapid? I don't like TKL at all. And if it is the same, what are the drawbacks other than the branding? 80% extra is a lot just for it being more plain.

Filco has been distributing their keyboards for awhile.. whereas cm storm has just stepped into the keyboard manufacturing community not long ago..

One way to break into the market would be to have affordable prices.

Also, the filco has a double pcb from some pictures I saw.

Honestly you'll be happy with both. But since you don't like TKL at all, the quickfire rapid is out of the question,haha

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 05:57:19 »
You don't want the quick fire pro, its made by the same oem as the blackwidow.

Quick fire rapid and quick fire trigger are both made by costar and are solid keyboards

Ah okay, Thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty new to all this stuff, does it show?  :-[ All I've really had experience with is what advertising throws at me. Yay for broken inferior products!

Filco has been distributing their keyboards for awhile.. whereas cm storm has just stepped into the keyboard manufacturing community not long ago..

One way to break into the market would be to have affordable prices.

And yeah I didn't mean it in a complaining kind of way so I hope it didn't sound like that!  ;D. I just meant that if it were the same board nearly exactly what would be my benefits of picking the Filco over the CM Storm, which I understand now due to it only being TKL!

Also, the filco has a double pcb from some pictures I saw.

Also, sorry again but, how does a Keyboard benefit from a Double PCB? I thought it was mostly for space.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Offline mickd

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 06:08:44 »
I think the Filco's PCB was slightly (very slightly) thicker. Maybe that'll influence the feel of the keys when typing. It's a very minor thing though, especially considering the price difference.

There may be other advantages/disadvantages which I'm not too sure about.

Offline phx

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:01:14 »
the quickfire rapid is definitely a very solid choice if you dont mind the TKL format.
if you want to spend some extra monies then of course filco is another good choice.
DAS has very good build quality, but it's also got a glossy finish like the black widow, so if you didnt like the gloss I wouldnt get a DAS.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:06:37 »
I really like my Das with Blues. I like the USB hub built in. The only thing I don't like is the glossy case. They give you a microfiber cloth to wipe it and even that thing scratches it! I need to pop it off and do something with it...

Offline phx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:14:49 »
I really like my Das with Blues. I like the USB hub built in. The only thing I don't like is the glossy case. They give you a microfiber cloth to wipe it and even that thing scratches it! I need to pop it off and do something with it...
yeah, I had a DAS for a couple of years, it was my first board, loved it, they have great customer support. my only complain was the glossy finish, such a fingerprint magnet. >.>

I miss the USB hub, especially at work where I use this stupid  desktop with a broken front panel I/O

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:18:09 »
yeah, I had a DAS for a couple of years, it was my first board, loved it, they have great customer support. my only complain was the glossy finish, such a fingerprint magnet. >.>

I miss the USB hub, especially at work where I use this stupid  desktop with a broken front panel I/O

You miss the USB HUB which is at the right side of the keyboard? How do you guys even use this anyway, I can't use even a bloody flash drive without it being a bother for my mouse.

Anyways, the Das Keyboard aren't made by Costar anymore (well, the Ultimate and Mac edition still are, it seems, but no one knows for how long) and their quality has gone on a downfall, as some topics in here have already showed us.

I wouldn't recommend buying a new Das Keyboard, especially the ones with Media Keys, which are surely made by iOne, same OEM as Razer Blackwidow and other bad quality keyboards.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:52:42 »

You miss the USB HUB which is at the right side of the keyboard? How do you guys even use this anyway, I can't use even a bloody flash drive without it being a bother for my mouse.

I don't know what they were thinking when they designed the hub on the DAS.  It's just dumb...

In addition to being in the wrong spot, it is electrically separate from the keyboard electronics, so it has a 2-headed USB cable, thus wasting 2 USB ports on your computer.

The best way to do a hub is to have the ports on either side of the keyboard, like this (with a 3rd port on the edge as a bonus)...

This uses only 1 USB port on your computer, and gives you an extra 3.

« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2012, 09:55:09 by Matias »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 10:17:43 »
@Lycoth

If you were seriously considering backlit and got turned off by built quality, then you may want to have a peek at Deck's products. They are extremely well made. I don't think they offer any flavor in Brown but you can get the Legend in Clear/White (Tactile but non clicky like the brown with a bit stiffer springs). Deck's interpretation of cosmetic may not be for everyone. Check them out!

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=96
8159-0

Also in the Brown alike type (but better in my opinion) is the new Matias Quiet Pro.
Although it comes in glossy black, it doesn't seam to collect dust as bad as my Das.
As for the look of the QP, Matias posted a picture in your thread.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline wetto

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 10:54:42 »

I don't know what they were thinking when they designed the hub on the DAS.  It's just dumb...

In addition to being in the wrong spot, it is electrically separate from the keyboard electronics, so it has a 2-headed USB cable, thus wasting 2 USB ports on your computer.

The best way to do a hub is to have the ports on either side of the keyboard, like this (with a 3rd port on the edge as a bonus)...

Show Image

This uses only 1 USB port on your computer, and gives you an extra 3.

Not just the DAS has a dumb design... We have the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (seriously, is there something that's actually well made in this board, besides Razer's marketing?), the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium and a few others I can't remember.

But seriously, putting a USB hub on the right side is just plain dumb. Now, adding also headphone and microphone jacks to the right side is beyond retarded.

Although I've already seen lots of boards with multiple USB hubs, doing a 3rd port on the edge is just genius. Seriously, that's a god damn great idea.

Though, I'd like to ask you a question. What if I use a device that requires too much power of the USB HUB, like a USB Headset and a USB Wireless Receiver. What's going to happen, if the energy required by these is more than the single USB connection can actually deliver to the keyboard?
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2012, 11:00:39 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 11:11:26 »
Though, I'd like to ask you a question. What if I use a device that requires too much power of the USB HUB, like a USB Headset and a USB Wireless Receiver. What's going to happen, if the energy required by these is more than the single USB connection can actually deliver to the keyboard?

The devices will misbehave.
However, the amount of power used by the keyboard itself is minimal.... and therefore this isn't really fixed in anyway by having using two using ports instead of one. [Maybe for keyboards with backlighting, this will help a bit, but the Das isn't one of them and neither is the Matias]

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 11:37:39 »
Thanks all for the help. I think i'll settle for the Filco for now, but I definitely like the look of the Quietpro, so I'll keep that somewhere.

I've heard good things about Deck also but as you stated, their cosmetics are not for everyone and unfortunately i'm one of them.

Thanks again guys!

Offline phx

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 12:04:57 »
Thanks all for the help. I think i'll settle for the Filco for now, but I definitely like the look of the Quietpro, so I'll keep that somewhere.

I've heard good things about Deck also but as you stated, their cosmetics are not for everyone and unfortunately i'm one of them.

Thanks again guys!

Anyways, the Das Keyboard aren't made by Costar anymore (well, the Ultimate and Mac edition still are, it seems, but no one knows for how long) and their quality has gone on a downfall, as some topics in here have already showed us.

I wouldn't recommend buying a new Das Keyboard, especially the ones with Media Keys, which are surely made by iOne, same OEM as Razer Blackwidow and other bad quality keyboards.

I never kept anything plugged in there for extended period of time, usually just an USB stick, I really hate reaching to the back of the tower, and the stick never goes in the right orientation on the first try >.>
it's a shame that DAS changed their manufacturer, just how noticeable is it? does it break easier or just the overall feel of the plastic/keys?

Offline wetto

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:30:17 »
I never kept anything plugged in there for extended period of time, usually just an USB stick, I really hate reaching to the back of the tower, and the stick never goes in the right orientation on the first try >.>
it's a shame that DAS changed their manufacturer, just how noticeable is it? does it break easier or just the overall feel of the plastic/keys?

Keycaps feel like crap now and there's inconsistencies in the switches themselves. I mean, some are stiffer than others (which would mean switches from different batches were used?), thus causing an overall difference in the keyboard itself.

Since that keyboard was bought on Amazon and could be sent back, it wasn't opened and there's no pictures of the insides of the new board, but you can always guess by how bad iOne's soldering always was.
My collection:
More

Offline phx

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:32:52 »
Keycaps feel like crap now and there's inconsistencies in the switches themselves. I mean, some are stiffer than others (which would mean switches from different batches were used?), thus causing an overall difference in the keyboard itself.

Since that keyboard was bought on Amazon and could be sent back, it wasn't opened and there's no pictures of the insides of the new board, but you can always guess by how bad iOne's soldering always was.
wow that sucks... but aren't all the switches made by Cherry Corp? there is a notable difference in the batches they make?

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:55:31 »
but I definitely like the look of the Quietpro, so I'll keep that somewhere.

And it is not just about the look. The QP rocks! Well made, quiet, great tactile response and... Since you already experienced the Cherry Switches... It is something different to try :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 15:45:05 »
The Matias keyboards, QuietPro and TactilePro, are getting more popular. If you're thinking about paying Filco prices, then you should consider a Matias which is about the same price. Their switches also seem to get a better response from users than the Cherry switches.

And they got a 3-port hub with no extra cable to plug in.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 15:47:15 »
The Matias keyboards, QuietPro and TactilePro, are getting more popular. If you're thinking about paying Filco prices, then you should consider a Matias which is about the same price. Their switches also seem to get a better response from users than the Cherry switches.

And they got a 3-port hub with no extra cable to plug in.

I tend to agree with this. Given equivalent prices Id go for a MQP over a filco.

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 01:15:20 »
Thanks all. I ordered the Filco as I felt more comfortable getting that for now for my personal uses, but i'm going to keep my eye on the Quiet Pro. It looks nice. (Or maybe even just the Matias Tactile for the future).

I'll let you know how I get on.

There is a picture on one of these topics of the PCB from Costar, and from iOne. Even just from that picture I wouldn't get one. It looked horrifically built.

Again, thanks all. I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives tomorrow!