Author Topic: Noppoo Choc mini numlock problem  (Read 15340 times)

Offline fearfuul

Noppoo Choc mini numlock problem
« on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 00:31:17 »
Hi, I'm new to posting in forums but here I go. So, I just recently purchased a Noppoo Choc mini 84-key cherry MX red switches and it's a really smooth keyboard. I've just been having a problem with it, when I start my computer (Asus G74x laptop) the numlock key on the keyboard is lit up. That's fine, but when I go to toggle it off by pressing FN + PrtSc, it toggles off for a second then immediately comes back on. Each time I have to struggle by repeatedly pressing it for minutes straight to finally get it (numlock) to toggle off. Also, when I have the numlock toggled off, if I toggle scroll lock or the switch lock (switching caps lock and ctrl), either one of those will toggle on the numlock, again making me struggle countless minutes on turning off the numlock. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this and knows any solution as I've tried switching usb ports, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling and trying to find a newer driver version. Thanks for the help!  :D

Offline asdf

• Tuesday, 11 November 2008, 20:17:05
Re: Noppoo Choc mini numlock problem
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 00:47:23 »
I don't know why your numlock settings won't stick but try setting your laptop to boot with numlock off (in BIOS).

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 01:36:58 »
Ok thanks, I'll give it a try

Offline stingrae

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 02:33:35 »
fn+printsc is your laptops numlock toggle?

If so use the mini's numlock key?
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:33:10 »
The problem is with the mini's numlock toggle, not my actual laptops numlock as it has one built in, not toggled. And the mini numlock does toggle but it requires my times of me pressing it to finally toggle off (it toggles off every time I click it but just auto toggles back on ). Sorry, haven't been able to test if changing the bios would help yet.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:37:52 »
Try it on other computer? Does it do the same thing?

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:43:05 »
Reckful's stream? .. just guessing by your name

Offline stingrae

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:47:56 »
The problem is with the mini's numlock toggle, not my actual laptops numlock as it has one built in, not toggled. And the mini numlock does toggle but it requires my times of me pressing it to finally toggle off (it toggles off every time I click it but just auto toggles back on ). Sorry, haven't been able to test if changing the bios would help yet.
Sorry wasn't clear as the mini's numlock toggle isn't on the fn layer which is what you said. " That's fine, but when I go to toggle it off by pressing FN + PrtSc".

At a guess probably just needs to be replaced (switch) or given some compressed air but could also be the laptop I suppose.

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 13:39:40 »
I'll try on another computer when I get home,

Reckful's stream? .. just guessing by your name
no just my char on wow by chance >.> but i do watch his stream

Sorry wasn't clear as the mini's numlock toggle isn't on the fn layer which is what you said. " That's fine, but when I go to toggle it off by pressing FN + PrtSc".

At a guess probably just needs to be replaced (switch) or given some compressed air but could also be the laptop I suppose.
The mini numlock toggle should be on the fn layer, by this I'm guessing you mean that it can only be toggled while holding fn down and pressing prtsc which is the way it is, sorry if I'm misinterpreting something wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250888280157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just to throw a link for the keyboard I got. And this is my laptop

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G74SX-BBK7.58483.0.html

But like I said, I'll try another computer when I get home and post back the results.

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 19:17:58 »
Ok so just tested my keyboard on my brother's laptop, it works fine on his. I also tested all of my usb ports on my computer and the keyboard acts the same way (numlock not correctly toggling). Do you guys think maybe it's a bios update problem or any guess of what it might be? Also, his computer is an Asus G73, so one version down from mine.
Thanks so far guys.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 23:57:29 »
Your mini is clearly different to my mini. lol.

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 03:19:14 »
Your mini is clearly different to my mini. lol.

Show Image

Wow it is >.<

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 03:50:35 »
So I think I figured out the problem. On the Asus G74, the laptop doesn't have a numlock on the built-in keyboard, just a calculator button in its place (technically numlock isn't toggable), therefore, every time I try to toggle numlock off on my noppoo, the asus is automatically turning numlock back on. When I finally get numlock to stay off on my noppoo, the numlock on my asus is turned off as well, which I'm sure my computer does not like -.- Although I've figured this out, I still don't know a fix to the problem, I've looked at the BIOS and didn't find anything about toggling the numlock off/on. Anyways guys, off to bed, looking forward to some feedback, thanks and night!  ^-^

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 03:58:36 »
Do you have another USB keyboard to try out your theory on the toggle?

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:39:16 »
Do you have another USB keyboard to try out your theory on the toggle?

Just tested it with another keyboard, everytime I hit numlock on the new keyboard, it acts the same way as my noppoo does. So the problem lies in my asus not having a toggleable numlock *sigh* wonder if there are any bios updates that have switched the calculator button to be a numlock.

Offline fearfuul

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:48:44 »
Ok so after some looking around, I wasn't able to find a permanent fix. I did, however, find a temporary fix by downloading a program that can toggle my numlock off and on. This seems to be the best I can get for now, but if anyone finds a permanent fix, be sure to share! Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.  :D

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/NumLocker-Download-107584.html

The program if anyone is curious.