Author Topic: [Australia, Melbourne Pickup Only] IBM Model M Keyboards Auction on Ebay  (Read 16230 times)

Offline LollyWater

Re: [Australia, Melbourne Pickup Only] IBM Model M Keyboards Auction on Ebay
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:38:21 »
I'm maybe around 45 minutes away.  But if there are about 18 keyboards there, are there enough people around Australia who would want that many?  There's about 8 or 10 of us lurking in this thread who would be up for one each maybe - what would you do with the other 8 or 10?  Potentially unlikely that anyone in the US would want one due to costs to ship to US (assuming it it the same as shipping from US to Australia).  Meh.

Anyway the seller has added a note to say that he is considering getting a shipping quote from Pack&Send, so for a little extra dosh a few more people might be in a position to bid.

I'd probably be up for one, but I can't afford the whole box.

Is it far from the city?

Not really. I'm about 40 from it and I'm no where near the city.

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:41:28 »
I'm maybe around 45 minutes away.  But if there are about 18 keyboards there, are there enough people around Australia who would want that many?  There's about 8 or 10 of us lurking in this thread who would be up for one each maybe - what would you do with the other 8 or 10?  Potentially unlikely that anyone in the US would want one due to costs to ship to US (assuming it it the same as shipping from US to Australia).  Meh.

Anyway the seller has added a note to say that he is considering getting a shipping quote from Pack&Send, so for a little extra dosh a few more people might be in a position to bid.

Is it far from the city?

Aw crap. :o
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 17:54:43 »

Is it far from the city?

So it's not really far from the city, but you're about 40 minutes away from it and you're no where near the city...  :confused:
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:07:12 »
Hahaha um me wants 2! :D you can have it shipped to Singapore!  :)) :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:23:23 »
That escalated quickly since this morning - $355.00 now, with 3 days left.

If there are 18 keyboards, makes about $20 each atm.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 23:11:18 »
The heat is on :D

Offline 486

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 00:44:02 »
Now would be a great time to say, I told you but as someone that already has Model M's ( and found 3 on the side of the road), I don't think that is very nice. But I had a feeling since the start that it would go over $300 and I still believe it might stop around $500 mark.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 00:48:06 »
Now would be a great time to say, I told you but as someone that already has Model M's ( and found 3 on the side of the road), I don't think that is very nice. But I had a feeling since the start that it would go over $300 and I still believe it might stop around $500 mark.
Share some Model M love with us :(
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline 486

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 04:12:23 »
Sorry, I am actually low on Model's M's ATM, I sold a few about a year ago but I think I sold too many, I am down to 4 now. My PS/2 model 65 has  taken one also. However, curbside collection time is in another week so I'll check the neighbourhood again. Funny, I know the person that got rid of the Model M's. Maybe I should ask them if they have anymore they don't want. I went to their place once, believe me, they could be concealing so F AT's in there and possibly tens of model M's as well.
EDIT: Actually, if I do find any, I will probably sell them. I need the money for buying a 5153 for IBM PC/AT setup and or possible resume working on getting some Model M SSK's.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 04:16:27 by 486 »

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:15:55 »

i've got 10-12 people i can think of just on here and then you have OCAU, no problems at all selling them for $60 each if they are all working.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:43:06 »
Sorry, I am actually low on Model's M's ATM, I sold a few about a year ago but I think I sold too many, I am down to 4 now. My PS/2 model 65 has  taken one also. However, curbside collection time is in another week so I'll check the neighbourhood again. Funny, I know the person that got rid of the Model M's. Maybe I should ask them if they have anymore they don't want. I went to their place once, believe me, they could be concealing so F AT's in there and possibly tens of model M's as well.
EDIT: Actually, if I do find any, I will probably sell them. I need the money for buying a 5153 for IBM PC/AT setup and or possible resume working on getting some Model M SSK's.

Man I wish my neighbourhood still had scheduled pickups. Council changed it so now you have to book a pickup instead of everyone doing it on the one day. I've kept my eye on the curbsides to no avail so far.

But yes, there will be no problem selling those Model Ms if it turns out to be below market price.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:44:46 »
Hm rayuki, am I in the list?  :)) :)) :))

Offline 486

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:58:40 »

Man I wish my neighbourhood still had scheduled pickups. Council changed it so now you have to book a pickup instead of everyone doing it on the one day. I've kept my eye on the curbsides to no avail so far.

But yes, there will be no problem selling those Model Ms if it turns out to be below market price.
Which state is this? In Brisbane, curbside collection seems to be one of my best pickup days of the year. Last time, as I mentions, I got a few Model m's. Pure luck, and if I wasn't there an hour sooner, then it probably would be at the scrappers. I'm keeping an eye out. I'll be looking around this weekend and checking frequently. Although the Model M's were a good pickup, I've missed a lot of good things by a few minutes e.g. an complete Apple IIC , a blu-ray player etc. Maybe I will get to ask the people who got rid of the Model M's, they are only a few houses away.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:19:10 »

Which state is this? In Brisbane, curbside collection seems to be one of my best pickup days of the year. Last time, as I mentions, I got a few Model m's. Pure luck, and if I wasn't there an hour sooner, then it probably would be at the scrappers. I'm keeping an eye out. I'll be looking around this weekend and checking frequently. Although the Model M's were a good pickup, I've missed a lot of good things by a few minutes e.g. an complete Apple IIC , a blu-ray player etc. Maybe I will get to ask the people who got rid of the Model M's, they are only a few houses away.

Sydney, NSW. They changed the system a couple years back. Before then it was just like you've got up there.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:49:56 »

Sydney, NSW. They changed the system a couple years back. Before then it was just like you've got up there.
Yeah, it is annoying. Same here in Newcastle.

Offline 486

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 14:35:14 »
Well. That's a bit depressing for you guys. I was actually considering moving to Sydney as  I can tolerate the colder temperature and Sydney is the place were everything goes down. But no curbside collection? All I can say is that it is making lots of money for those recycling companies. Let's hope they have the common sense to at least check if something is valuble before they scap it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:45:30 »
Same in Melbourne - we have to book collections now.  But that does not stop people dumping piles of rubbish outside their houses anyway.  After a couple of weeks they get a yellow "illegal dumping" sticker threatening fines.

Where are all these model Ms that get thrown out?  The best I have seen around here are a few broken rubber domes.

Although I did find an old Mac 8500/something with monitor by the roadside when I used to live in Richmond.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 486

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 04:50:27 »
Can't say. :-X My secret, sorry. It's good when you know lots of people in the IT area.
I give you guys one of my secret places that you can get Model m's from in Aus.
http://www.nucleuscomputer.com.au/Nucproducts/Comparts/keyboard.htm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 15:50:37 »
LOL not a secret any more.

Offline 486

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 02:50:01 »
But that is only one of many many places I know to get a Model M at that most people in Australia don't know about.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 02:56:35 »
We do now :)

The original eBay is still $355 - everyone's probably saying "how'd it get that high so fast".

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 02:57:19 »
I think their response would most prolly be like: "Who would want that pile of junk at such a high price?"

Offline 486

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 03:00:20 »
I find giving you one of my secret URL's to buy the magnificent Model M on. I want everyone on here to be filled with Model M's so the price of them will decrease.
$355 was typical. Funny, Model F AT's last year were selling for hundreds, now they are only $100 max and Model M were cheaper last year and pretty expensive this year compared to 2009, when I got my first Model M.

Offline 486

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 03:02:04 »
I think their response would most prolly be like: "Who would want that pile of junk at such a high price?"
Well maybe they should do some reasearch. They should have sold them as BIN's for like $30 each, WIN WIN I say.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:40:10 »
So are any of you bidding on it still?

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 03:00:25 »
Oooo only 40 minutes drive from there hahaha

Did you ask the guy a question under the name jEpiter?

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 04:37:27 »
So who won them?

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 04:39:34 »
Oh? The auction is over?  :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 13:04:53 »
They sold for AU$578.40 after 17 bids.  Looks like the person who put the first bid on won.

So ... anyone here win?

If it was someone here - are you interested in sharing the model M love?

Offline 486

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 14:50:32 »
578 / 18 equals 32 dollars a keyboard. Just as I suspected. Believe me, there is no such thing as a bargain on eBay. Everything will find it's price. eBay has to many people on it these days to really make a good catch. However, less people, less selling.  If you list something as 99c, it will find it's price, $10 or $1000.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 15:17:54 »
yep, highly doubt it was anyone on here they will probally sell them all individually now back on ebay for $50-60 each lol. oh well