Author Topic: Best Topre Keyboard  (Read 40806 times)

Offline Ian S

Re: Best Topre Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:17:19 »
And you never admit that you are just trying to boost your post count.
But to my credit I did attempt to follow that admission with a somewhat meaningful narrative :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:22:43 by Ian S »
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline Ian S

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:21:49 »
Topre circlejerk...? O_o
Please forgive my ignorance of these matters, could you please elucidate as to whether that's that a helpful suggestion to make the RF better or a Pavlovian response to a Topre thread? :)
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:29:21 »
And you never admit that you are just trying to boost your post count.
But to my credit I did attempt to follow that admission with a somewhat meaningful narrative :)

Welcome, although the admission could have formed the TL;DR ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ian S

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:36:28 »
There's another thread somewhere where I and others have been critical of the 60 posts required to place an advert in the classifieds.  In reality I'm making a point each time I mention the number of posts, that there remain disgruntled new and not so new members here that are currently excluded from the classifieds due to this, IMO, somewhat ill considered arbitrary selected number, and that results in the rest of the community missing out a  little on what these excluded people want to buy or sell.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:41:06 by Ian S »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:40:59 »
That is partly to prevent users from creating an account just to sell something.  There are other sites online for just selling things, Geekhack is a community.  It is hoped that all Geekhack members will become part of the community :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 04:33:26 »
Evil is afoot.
No, no. Rules text and flavor text are in Times Roman on the old cards; only the card name is in Goudy Mediaeval.

And the way they templated in those days, it should be Summon Moron.

Offline Germiphene

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 11:12:43 »
HHKB. Best. Layout. Ever. Nevermind the haters.

Also, topre is just smooth. Like typing on boobies.

Mmmm, boobies.  Yeah this sounds about right! On a side note, where's my wife........  :p
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 19:40:00 »

Mmmm, boobies.  Yeah this sounds about right! On a side note, where's my wife........  :p

What do you expect people to think of, when you put stuff like "good feeling of oneness with cup rubber" on the box?

And is this what, like the 900th time this joke has been made?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 22:51:37 »

Just as long as you are not comparing your wife to a keyboard.  The danger lies in the risk that the keyboard would come out on top, if you will pardon the expression.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 00:27:07 »
I just typed on my gf's boobies tonight, and I must say... the HHKB does feel more like it than the 55g Topre, but the closes is still Cherry MX Red.

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

Best Topre Keyboard
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 23:07:55 »
Hhkb is fantastic. If you want portability look no further. Mine fits in my laptop bag with ease alongside a mouse, mousepad, smart card reader, and a few different cables.

If you have any sort of finger dexterity and coordination it will be easy to adjust. Took me a few minutes to adjust. The combos come naturally and feel great.

If you had any keyboard lust early on for a keyboard do yourself a favor and just get one. It was the first board I drooled over and I ended up getting two Leopolds in mx blue and browns. After I got my hhkb pro 2 in black blank I sold my Leo boards. They felt like crud afterwards.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 01:23:19 »
^^^^ yes, yes, a thousand times yes

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 01:32:02 »
Hhkb is fantastic. If you want portability look no further. Mine fits in my laptop bag with ease alongside a mouse, mousepad, smart card reader, and a few different cables.

If you have any sort of finger dexterity and coordination it will be easy to adjust. Took me a few minutes to adjust. The combos come naturally and feel great.

If you had any keyboard lust early on for a keyboard do yourself a favor and just get one. It was the first board I drooled over and I ended up getting two Leopolds in mx blue and browns. After I got my hhkb pro 2 in black blank I sold my Leo boards. They felt like crud afterwards.

Show Image

So would you say that it feels like an upscale brown?
Looking for CC's!

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 01:56:55 »
I'd say it feels like someone kidnapped the cursor keys.  :p
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 03:10:09 »
And made the function keys hide under the table?

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

Best Topre Keyboard
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 10:53:15 »

Show Image

So would you say that it feels like an upscale brown?

Collapsing blocks of clay. Closest mx that I've used are browns (red brown blue are all mx I've onwed). They have a thock sound and no clickyness. The collapsing clay is the tactile feel. I hear ergo clears mx is even closer to topre.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 12:20:39 »

Collapsing blocks of clay. Closest mx that I've used are browns (red brown blue are all mx I've onwed). They have a thock sound and no clickyness. The collapsing clay is the tactile feel. I hear ergo clears mx is even closer to topre.

Hmm. That's a good description. So basically the "tacitness" is at the very top, but it isn't sharp.
Looking for CC's!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 13:29:52 »
Exactly. And yes, now that I think about it, Ergo clears feel WAY more like 45g Topres than anything else.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 13:36:19 »
Exactly. And yes, now that I think about it, Ergo clears feel WAY more like 45g Topres than anything else.

Hmm. That sounds like it would be perfect for gaming. Do you have to "reset" the switch to activate again? Like in a spamming situation?
Looking for CC's!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 14:01:10 »
No. The activation point on Topre's is a completely independent mechanism from the tactility. But to be sure, lemme plugin my HHKB in and test...

Yup. You can ride the activation point. However, it's pretty much right in the stiff resistance point of the downstroke, so you'll probably feel the tactile bump a few times. However, it being 45g (on the HHKB at least), it shouldn't make a difference.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 14:32:09 »
No. The activation point on Topre's is a completely independent mechanism from the tactility. But to be sure, lemme plugin my HHKB in and test...

Yup. You can ride the activation point. However, it's pretty much right in the stiff resistance point of the downstroke, so you'll probably feel the tactile bump a few times. However, it being 45g (on the HHKB at least), it shouldn't make a difference.

Well as long as I can feel the point so I can ride it. I currently use browns now and it helps knowing when it's activating.
Looking for CC's!

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

Best Topre Keyboard
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 15:15:14 »
You know I play moba and press it so fast already that I don't perceive any benefit from riding activation point. For reference I type at about 120wpm.

I'm not an amazing moba player though. Mainly Arams on lol.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 December 2012, 15:18:35 by HolidaySHRIMP »

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 15:34:27 »
You know I play moba and press it so fast already that I don't perceive any benefit from riding activation point. For reference I type at about 120wpm.

Well, in my case, I play BF3 and spam the spot (q) button alot. Especially when there's smoke. That's mainly what I was talking about.
Looking for CC's!

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

Best Topre Keyboard
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 17:44:18 »

Well, in my case, I play BF3 and spam the spot (q) button alot. Especially when there's smoke. That's mainly what I was talking about.

I'm going to get an n52 modded with cherry switches whenever my KMAC is done. Best of both worlds!

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 00:23:12 »
Just pulled the trigger on a RF 87U 55g :cool: now it will be easier to find one of those skull things  :p
i type, therefore i geekhack