Author Topic: How To & More!  (Read 1223 times)

Offline DecZS

• Coming Soon....
How To & More!
« on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 17:55:22 »
I am looking into making my very own keys for my keyboard as I would enjoy and would like to do it.

But I just don't have a clue were to start.

Firstly I have read various posts and topics but I can't come to a solid conclusion on how and what to use to actually design my keys.

Also I would like to know if possible :
- Paints/Dyes ect on what to design it with
- How to use clay and cook it or other ways to make a 3D design
- How to know the molded key will fit my PC keyboard and the electrical bit will

And finally have you got any tips, tricks or do you think there should be anything I should know before starting, thank you!
- DecZs, here to help.

Offline mickd

Re: How To & More!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 18:04:13 »
Check out the making stuff together forum for more resources :)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: How To & More!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 18:16:02 »
If you make a keycap out of any material of your choice then it will work.  The keycap is not connected electrically.  Unless you are making keycaps with LEDs inside them.

Would you be interested in making keycaps that are unprinted or printed on the side?

Then you could experiment with putting something interesting on top of the keycap, such as suede, felt, satin, or that gel stuff that is in those Magellen shoe insole thingamajigs,  etc.  You could make something really luxurious!

And please tell me if you come up with something that really works out well.  I am really interested in this kind of thing.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)