Author Topic: Ducky Shine 2 keycaps?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
Ducky Shine 2 keycaps?
« on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 20:57:18 »
I've done my research, and narrowed it down to a Leopold FC200R TKL Otaku, or a Ducky shine II TKL. I'm reluctant to buy the leo because I hear alot about the keycaps being impossible to switch and replace, and i'm reluctant to buy the Ducky because I've heard the keycaps are impossible to find. Plus, this might be a stupid question, but what happens if the LED light goes out on the ducky? are there replacements?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Ducky Shine 2 keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:03:45 »
Pros and cons about the caps of each of those KBs. The Leopold is easily replaceable, with the exception of the spacebar. That's the only part that will be nearly impossible to get. Ducky shine II caps can be replaced with anything if you don't need the light to shine through the letters. If you do need light to shine though, then it'll be nearly impossible for replacements because there are some media and LED function keys as a second layer that you can't find in other caps.

LEDs are pretty reliable in general, they won't go out easily. But if they do, they're easily replaceable and pretty cheap. It requires desoldering and soldering though. Now finding the exact one to match the rest of the LEDs is another story.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:09:17 »
Uh the keycaps is actually not too bad.  Only thing with Leopold is that the spacebar uses different peg locations, but a lot of companies makes universal spacebar now that fits all.  As for Ducky it's hard because no one makes keycaps for backlit keyboards, but you can always slap on regular keycaps on them and just have the light shine through gaps between keys.

As for the light goes out, I'm not sure.  I'm guessing you can just buy your own LED and swap it or if it's under warranty you can probably ask them to replace it for you.

EDIT:  WhiteFireDragon beat me by 6 minutes lol

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline firebt

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:26:43 »
Now finding the exact one to match the rest of the LEDs is another story.

True, but I'm sure if you email Ducky, they will send you the LEDs for cheap if not for free.  But, yeah, I know what you're saying... -_- it would suck to have one LED be off than the others...

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 22:33:32 »
I thought that Leopold purposefully makes the spacebar impossible to replace. The keycaps are replaceable though?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:02:40 »
It is not impossible to replace, just difficult.

Some keycap manufacturers make spacebars now with extra pegs for conventional keyboards and Leopold, so one spacebar will fit all.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 00:24:51 »
Yes, my white PBT can light thru.

Offline firebt

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:43:27 »
Yes, my white PBT can light thru.

Show Image

Whoa, looks pretty sweet. Do you mind sharing where you got those or what brand?  Very nice :)