Author Topic: So why do people like winkeyless?  (Read 30958 times)

Offline nodicaL

Re: So why do people like winkeyless?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 06:32:45 »
I couldn't live without my left Winkey.  I have my right side Winkey popped off since it was getting in the way for StarCraft.
The reason for needing the left one is the fact I love the Winkey + D shortcut for minimizing all windows.  :D

Offline Peter

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:42:59 »
Because the way microsoft bullied their way onto all our keyboards reminds me what douches they really are .
I don't mind the extra keys, I just mind that microsoft forced their stupid logo on all keyboards ..
All your keyboards are belong to Bill !! They should pay me rent for the advertising-space !

"You're ripping us off!" he shouted. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!" Gates just sat there coolly, looking Steve in the eye, before hurling back, in his squeaky voice, what became a classic zinger.
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it.
I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

EDIT :
And THIS :

Press Start .. To shut down :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:54:25 by Peter »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 17:10:38 »
I don't have a window on the key between Ctrl and Alt — the key legend says: "Win"

Every time I play a game, and press the key, I win. Can you say the same?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 17:16:14 »
No. When I used to press win key during a game, it would switch to the desktop and I would usually die, not win. Then I discover how to disable left win only in registry and now it do nothing which is much better.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 17:22:45 »
Winkeyless = Best for gamers

Winkey = everyone else

End of story.

Offline firebt

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 22:15:32 »
No. When I used to press win key during a game, it would switch to the desktop and I would usually die, not win. Then I discover how to disable left win only in registry and now it do nothing which is much better.

Hahahah that's what I was thinking. I don't know what kind of games you playin man lol. 

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 05:48:12 »

Hahahah that's what I was thinking. I don't know what kind of games you playin man lol. 
Probably games so terrible the only way to really win was to not play them?

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 07:24:46 »
I game all the time, be it CS or Super Meat Boy and I never press the winkey on accident. Maybe it's just me but it never been a problem. Winkeyless looks cool. It's one less near useless key gone. Like the people who claim to use the Home button they use it once and feel like it belongs on a keyboard.

Offline OrpheusX

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 07:36:30 »
I guess there aren't that many Mac users here cause the "winkey" is typically mapped to the Apple/Command key which is used heavily in all sorts of key bindings. Possibly the single most used modifier on the OS. I've used an HHKB for the past ten years so I actually think of it as the Meta key. Couldn't consider a board that didn't make some kind of accommodation for it. The GH keyboard looks sweet but it doesn't work for me.

Offline firebt

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 07:44:39 »

Probably games so terrible the only way to really win was to not play them?

Hahaha..exactly what I was thinking.. :p

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: So why do people like winkeyless?
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 08:05:23 »
Like the people who claim to use the Home button they use it once and feel like it belongs on a keyboard.

I and many, many others use the Home and End keys hundreds of times a day. :P

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 08:11:45 »
Like the people who claim to use the Home button they use it once and feel like it belongs on a keyboard.

I'm with you on that hashhaz..Many times a day =)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: So why do people like winkeyless?
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 08:12:06 »
I guess there aren't that many Mac users here cause the "winkey" is typically mapped to the Apple/Command key which is used heavily in all sorts of key bindings. Possibly the single most used modifier on the OS. I've used an HHKB for the past ten years so I actually think of it as the Meta key. Couldn't consider a board that didn't make some kind of accommodation for it. The GH keyboard looks sweet but it doesn't work for me.

In my experience, the Command key is basically a stand-in for Control most of the time.  At least the Win key is used for OS shortcuts which often overlap with Control hotkeys.

Control doesn't seem to get used at all in OS X, apart from applications with thousands of hotkeys like Photoshop.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
So why do people like winkeyless?
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 12:24:30 »
The extra modifier keys are nice.  But I can deal without them.  (Remapping caps lock to control frees up the original Ctrl keys...)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:19:45 »

I am.  There is a dipswitch on my Ducky to swap left-Alt and left-Win (Command and Option in Mac terms).  So the Command key is where Alt is on a PC keyboard.

The thing with Mac is that pressing a modifier by itself does not trigger a menu or something else, unlike Windows where pressing Alt by itself moves focus to a menu.  And on Windows pressing certain modifiers by themselves too many times brings up an accessibility dialog.

Sometimes Mac is easier :)

I game on both Windows and Mac, and only occasionally hit Win key on Windows, which almost always interrupts the game.  Never has on Mac.

:p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:08:29 »

Yeah. Home and End aren't particularly unusual. The only really unusual key these days is scroll lock. Pause/Break sees regular use despite being "obsoleted" because it's the abort sequence for a lot of things. (VS2010, for example - I forget if it's build abort or enter breakpoint or both.) But even Scroll Lock gets used a lot - FreeBSD uses it for console scroll control, as an example. That's one of the reasons for more keys rather than less, really. Numpad is arguably extraneous (you can do without it easily enough; it's duplicated keys essentially) but it's not like people want to hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc+F12. Hell, most people can't. So, you got Windows keys.

As things got more powerful, enabling more multitasking, 101 became too few. Leading to 105. Which has now become too few again. I say we just beat on Microsoft and Unicomp till we standardize on 24 F-keys with a standard modifier template for media keys (they do have specific scancodes.) :P
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.