Author Topic: Who was the idiot who made this keyboard design?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Who was the idiot who made this keyboard design?
« on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:01:21 »

I mean, seriously, I've been using one of these HP G62 laptops here at work for a few days and I almost threw it against the wall due to how many times I pressed a shortcut key instad of CTRL or SHIFT.

Seriously, macro and shortcut keys can be interesting for some people, but there's a limit for everything.

For those who don't use macros, they're nothing more than a waste of space and a bother.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
Re: Who was the idiot who made this keyboard design?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:06:21 »
For those who don't use macros, they're nothing more than a waste of space and a bother.
amen

I love my Thinkpad keyboard for typing, specifically coding, but the 'Fn' button is in the most F'n awkward position, brb always hitting it instead of Control
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:07:14 »
haha that's hilarious. You should pop the keys off and throw them away.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:17:36 »
Yupe I bought a Blackwidow way back and I returned it for the same reason.  After that I stay away from keyboards with macro keys  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline wetto

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:23:29 »
haha that's hilarious. You should pop the keys off and throw them away.

Can't, company's property.

Anyways, after this has happened, I'm seriously considering buying a second keyboard, but this time TKL for sure. Carrying my Das Keyboard from Home to Work has been a bit of a bother   :p
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 10:37:04 »
Can't, company's property.

I was just kidding. But seriously, you would be doing the company and every person who uses the laptop after you a favor.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 11:07:39 »
amen

I love my Thinkpad keyboard for typing, specifically coding, but the 'Fn' button is in the most F'n awkward position, brb always hitting it instead of Control

You can switch the ctrl and fn keys in the bios. Best change ever.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline neverlast74

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 12:23:18 »
Ouch - that hurts... the esc key is really tiny. Sometimes I really wonder what pot that guy smoked. I feel your pain.

Can you attach a Keyboard+mouse or is this not possible because it limits your mobility.
Other idea can you freely program those buttons? If so set calculator-> to be cntrl, print-> shift ... dont know if this is possible...
Tour de kübord - Germany Layout:
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline wetto

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 13:48:27 »
Ouch - that hurts... the esc key is really tiny. Sometimes I really wonder what pot that guy smoked. I feel your pain.

Can you attach a Keyboard+mouse or is this not possible because it limits your mobility.
Other idea can you freely program those buttons? If so set calculator-> to be cntrl, print-> shift ... dont know if this is possible...

Actually, I'm already attaching my Das Keyboard and a mouse I had on the old desktop to it, since it's actually not "mobile", rather, the company buys them because they're cheap, can be mobile, use less space than a normal desktop and it seems they've been having less problems with laptops than desktops on the last few years, so, they just decided to replace all the desktops with laptops as an "upgrade".

Also, HP is offering free support and replacements and the company signed up a contract with them.

Nonetheless, worst laptop I've ever used. Damn, I hate this crap.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 13:51:22 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:02:57 »
I think that is something that you could get used to. I am more concerned with.. which keys had to go from the right side of the keyboard to make room for the new function keys?
🍉

Offline wetto

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:35:22 »
I think that is something that you could get used to. I am more concerned with.. which keys had to go from the right side of the keyboard to make room for the new function keys?

This is its ANSI version:

Yeah, kill it with fire!
My collection:
More

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:51:34 »
... and I thought the hell I have to go through on my Envy17 was bad. (VMware Workstation + no numlock key + no numlock indicator + faux-numpad = UGH.)

That whole laptop needs a dose of the cleansing fire. Along with whoever thought it was a suitable replacement for anything with more processing power than a blender.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:12:26 »
LOL so they manage to make Esc and Del the 2 smallest keys on this keyboard.  Haha I say wait for Poker 2 or something then bring it to work.  Or get HHKB  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline wetto

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:29:05 »
LOL so they manage to make Esc and Del the 2 smallest keys on this keyboard.  Haha I say wait for Poker 2 or something then bring it to work.  Or get HHKB  :P

Nay, I'd hate using FN Keys for keys that'd normally be on my keyboard more than anything. I need the arrow keys and Page Up/Page Down and Delete. TKL is fine, that CM Quickfire TK design is fine, but Poker or HHKB just no.

Maybe I'll just get a PLUM 96... US$ 100 with shipping to my country, an interesting design, good built and wired/wireless option?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:30:41 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 22:05:10 »
from what i've seen of laptop keyboards they usually have one of the employee's children whip up a quick doodle in crayola and send it off to manufacturing