Author Topic: RF 87U All-45g "EK Edition", worth it?  (Read 3979 times)

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
RF 87U All-45g "EK Edition", worth it?
« on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:22:06 »
I was either contemplating on getting the HHKB Pro 2 or the EK Edition RF, suggestions? Which one should I get?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:45:51 by BlindRAGE606 »

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline khaangaaroo

Re: RF 87U All-45g "EK Edition", worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:18:13 »
There's a recent thread here that started to talk about HHKB vs Realforce, and then of course got off topic into Topre bashing and defending...haha
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37581.0

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:31:25 »
I was either contemplating on getting the HHKB Pro 2 or the EK Edition RF, suggestions? Which one should I get?

Thanks

Tell you the same thing I've been saying all along:
Nobody can tell you which is better. Any one of us can tell you what we like. Any one of us can give you an opinion on which layout is better for us. But there is no such thing as "better" unless one of them has build quality or reliability issues. Since both examples here are of about equivalent quality, it's strictly a matter of which layout works for you.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:59:44 »

Thanks

Tell you the same thing I've been saying all along:
Nobody can tell you which is better. Any one of us can tell you what we like. Any one of us can give you an opinion on which layout is better for us. But there is no such thing as "better" unless one of them has build quality or reliability issues. Since both examples here are of about equivalent quality, it's strictly a matter of which layout works for you.

Seems like you're stil stuck on ranting from the previous thread. Discuss positive and negatives without thread crapping this one into oblivion like you did the other thread.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 19:31:52 »
I think the point that rootwyrm was trying to make is that many of the differences between HHKB and Realforce can't be listed as pros or cons like you're asking for. The ways in which they are different can be good or bad for the user depending on personal preference.

Size - Some people like portability and the extra desk space from the HHKB. Some people would rather have the extra keys.
Layout - Some people find the HHKB layout with modifier keys more efficient cause the don't have to move their hands around as much. Some people get annoyed they have to press extra keys for things like directional arrows.
Detachable USB cable - Can be useful, or just an extra point of possible hardware failure. For people who keep their keyboards in one place all the time, the feature doesn't even matter.
Metal plate mount vs plastic mount - Both seem durable enough. Some say it makes a little bit of difference in typing-feel. Again, personal preference.

However, there are some differences that can be seen as better for one board than another. Although they're hardly deal breakers.
USB hub on the HHKB.
More keycap sets available for Realforce's standard sized keys than HHKB on EliteKeyboards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 19:39:41 by khaangaaroo »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 20:00:32 »
Personally, the HHKB is the best typing experience I've ever had. However, I tend to use the 87u's more frequently due to my heavy use of Visual Studio.

If you need easy access to arrow keys and the ins/del/home/end/pgup/pgdn cluster, then the 87U will probably be a better choice. If you want portability, go with the HHKB. The HHKB is actually louder than the RF, since there's no metal plate to dampen the vibrations, but it's a very very satisfying thock.

I have the standard RF 87u 45g, not the EK edition, but I wish I had gotten the EK edition (Red LEDs, yummy). IMO, you can't go wrong either way. It just depends if you want to take the time to learn the HHKB layout.

Offline karljs

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 20:31:43 »
I like the HHKB a great deal, but ended up switching to a 45g RF full time. While I got used to the layout, I also do a lot of work on the move with my laptop. Switching between the two isn't incredibly easy.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 20:45:16 »
They are good boards if you got the cash.
As for HHKB, just make sure that you like the layout. If you are unsure about the layout, just get the RF.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 23:34:16 »
Personally, I find the HHKB to be perfect for laptop, mobile use. But then again that's because my laptop is a MBA 11", which the HHKB fits on as if made for it. Coupled with one o' deez and one o' deez and it's the perfect mobile typing nirvana.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 23:43:29 »
I think the OP is just trolling.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 23:47:46 »

It's a legitimate question. I was about to pull the trigger on one of these, and just wondered what the GH community thinks.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 23:58:35 »
Ever since the search function was fixed, no one seems to know how to use it. But back when it was broken, people were just QQing about it not working, and then ripster would tell people to google it instead.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 00:34:32 »
just wondered what the GH community thinks.

It's a personal preference thing. You can't decided on what you like out of these 2 keyboards without testing them...

I would go with the RF 55g tho :)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 00:43:05 »

I would wait for HHKB  Lite 2.  Real Cursor Keys FTW!
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 01:07:48 »
Man... Now that my Realforce has been given more time to get broken in, I'm liking these a lot more!

Edit: Gotta say... it's real interesting to see the word "Realforce" in a post written by me. Never thought I'd own one of these!
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2012, 01:15:54 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 01:46:10 »
I would wait for HHKB  Lite 2.  Real Cursor Keys FTW!

Okay, now I know you're just trolling