Author Topic: Keyboard with Cherry Red, Danish layout and on a budget. Which one ?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline MPAIznogood

Sorry guys.... on a budget here. Maybe a 100 bucks is what it takes, but not much more than that.

The Danish layout would be nice, but isn´t mandatory. US layout can do fine.

But.... the only keyboard I´ve found that fits the bill, is from Steelseries and as I understand, they aren´t much appreciated. I´m not exactly sure why, but maybe someone here can tell me.

Otherwise, what would be a decent keyboard within my budget ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keyboard with Cherry Red, Danish layout and on a budget. Which one ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 16:35:40 »
A CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid with MX reds is probably one of the cheaper good quality keyboards at the moment.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 16:42:14 »
A CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid with MX reds is probably one of the cheaper good quality keyboards at the moment.
This; the QFR seems to be a Nordic version that will fit Norwegian, Danish and Swedish, it's the same quality as Filco, but cheaper as you won't have to get one from England, it's got media keys and a snazzy red plate.
As long as you don't mind the lack of a numpad that is.
If you need a numpad then the SS 6Gv2 is actually a great keyboard for the money as the blacks are also a linear switch, it's also available within your country so no shipping, and it's fairly decent quality. The only issue I've heard people have had with it is the keycaps, primarily the printing.

I think Ducky might have some boards available from Danish retailers, you should check this thread for retailers. Again, if you want tenkeyless or another Ducky model it's worth looking through the thread to see if you can find any Danish retailers as they might have other Ducky models.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 16:46:09 »
Don't forget Cherry G80 as well, though the exact combination might be hard to achieve on one board. But you could make 'ghetto' reds from a blacks board and probably spend half. Cherry is also one of the few that I have seen with Danish only layout.

Offline MPAIznogood

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:32:28 »
Thx guys :)  Much appreciated !

Offline Peter

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:00:39 »
Steelseries 6Gv2 Red Edition
http://www.edbpriser.dk/tastatur/steelseries-6g-v2-red-edition-ps-2-usb-id-6549482.aspx

At 695- DKr (incl 25% VAT) if you pick it up yourself, it's probably the best deal you'll find anywhere in Europe.
The keyboard is great quality, built like a tank.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:11:38 »
Steelseries 6Gv2 Red Edition
http://www.edbpriser.dk/tastatur/steelseries-6g-v2-red-edition-ps-2-usb-id-6549482.aspx

At 695- DKr (incl 25% VAT) if you pick it up yourself, it's probably the best deal you'll find anywhere in Europe.
The keyboard is great quality, built like a tank.
Checking the site I noticed the QFR is actually cheaper. Combined with the fact that it has better keycaps and the same build quality the QFR is a better deal. Of course, if OP wants a numpad then the 6Gv2 red is the best choice, but the QFR wins if numpad is not a  requirement.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:13:11 by vun »

Offline Peter

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:28:01 »
Yes, and it doesn't have the Huge-Ass Enter-key and the related lay-out weirdness .
All those vintage Cherry-caps and group-buy caps will fit right on it, less the 'windowed'-keys ..

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 18:32:33 »
They're not the same build quality. SS is made by Datacomp.

Offline MPAIznogood

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 08:23:32 »
Well, as much as I appreciate all your help guys, I just ordered a standard run of the mill Razer BlackWidow. It was on sale on their website and I got it for 78$ inkl shipping.

Now, is there anything I can do to improve on it ? And please keep it cheap :)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 09:18:54 »
Well, as much as I appreciate all your help guys, I just ordered a standard run of the mill Razer BlackWidow. It was on sale on their website and I got it for 78$ inkl shipping.

A new set of keycaps will help quite a bit. According to the Ducky rep on Deskthority there should be a Danish reseller, you could find out who this reseller is and see if you can get a set of caps from there. If not, there are resellers in both Norway and Sweden, which shouldn't be too expensive to ship.
Before the rootworm hit there was at least one thread about sanding the glossy plastic on the BW, you could check if the thread is still around if you want to get rid of the hideous gloss.

That's a bit of a shoddy argument as two OEMs can have the same build quality, even though their products might not be built in exactly the same way.
And from what I've heard; Datacomp is a good OEM.

Offline Peter

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:40:25 »

THAT truly is a sweet deal :)
If you keep an eye on our national second-hand on-line markets you might get lucky and find one of the extremely rare
Cherry-boards with DANISH Double-Shot key-caps ..
(I have only ever seen 2 !! both WinKey-less G81-3000, plate-mounted MY-switches. )
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:44:37 by Peter »

Offline MPAIznogood

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:20:35 »

THAT truly is a sweet deal :)
If you keep an eye on our national second-hand on-line markets you might get lucky and find one of the extremely rare
Cherry-boards with DANISH Double-Shot key-caps ..
(I have only ever seen 2 !! both WinKey-less G81-3000, plate-mounted MY-switches. )

You have a link for that ?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:50:04 »
That's a bit of a shoddy argument as two OEMs can have the same build quality, even though their products might not be built in exactly the same way.
And from what I've heard; Datacomp is a good OEM.
That's not the argument. The argument is Datacomp is a lower tier OEM. They're not China quality, but that doesn't make them good. A lot of boards are Datacomp. Zowie, SS, Ducky 1000 series, to name a few. These are not top tier boards and for good reason.