Author Topic: Recommended keyboard for gaming+typing  (Read 2422 times)

Offline SinisterSquirl

Recommended keyboard for gaming+typing
« on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:23:00 »
So, i love pc gaming and i want to purchase a mechanical keyboard (i am using a really low quality logitec keyboard thats falling apart).

However being a college student i also want to be able to have a sensational feel as i type out essays and play on typeracer. I am quite proud of my wpm!

Anyway geekhack, can you recommend a suitable keyboard (brand)?

Also brown or red switches?

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Recommended keyboard for gaming+typing
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:29:41 »
Well, since your main use will be gaming, let me explain one thing.

You know, when your keyboard doesn't has the numeric pad, the amount of time and effort it takes to switch between keyboard and mouse on your right hand decreases, you get more efficient, your mice gets closer to you and your desk gets cleaner.

Backlit may look cool, but it doesn't increases your efficiency. Hell, if you're a gamer and you still look at your keyboard while playing, train more!

So, that's why people like Tenkeyless non-backlit keyboards in here.

And when it comes to tenkeyless and cheap but well-made keyboards, I've gotta say that the Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid is a clear winner. Plus, it's available in ANSI/ISO layouts on many countries around the world and also in different Cherry MX Switches, which includes EVEN Cherry MX Green.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:47:51 »
MX blue for typing.  Or greens if you have really strong fingers.  Reds or blacks for gaming.  Browns for a bit of both ... maybe, although I use blues for typing and gaming.  Not a lot of people like blacks as they are too stiff for long periods of typing.  Some people don't like browns as they are halfway between.

Best bet is to try a couple of keyboards for yourself, either at your local store, or from a friend.

Backlit?  Ducky.  Not backlit TKL?  CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SinisterSquirl

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:01:10 »
Hey thanks for the replies!

I have failed to mention that i will be going for a tenkeyless keyboard non-backlight keyboard. While i have had my eye on the Quickfire rapid, it just never seemed to appeal to me. I am deterred by the fact that CM excessively brands itself on the keyboard (no hate on the quickfire rapid, i just like my keyboard to look 'clean').  ;)

I have been looking at Noppoo there have been reviews on the Choc Mini, but i would like to know if anyone here did a review on the Noppoo 87, which looks like the Quicfire Rapid, is cheaper, and does not excessively brand itself.

For those of you who want to know what the keyboard looks like
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/noppoo-mid-87-mechanical-keybo/lid=33508719
BAM! link in yo face

Offline wetto

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:36:39 »
Actually, the new Quickfire Rapids don't have almost any branding on them...

Anyways, nothing against the Noppoo 87. If it's cheap there in your country and you can get it easily, go for it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:41:23 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 18:36:51 »
Blues aren't even good for typing.  Browns or clears are just the best,  period.  Really,  it all depends on what you happen to like.  Try them all.   This is wallet hack...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 21:39:05 »
CM is moving away from the branding.  No idea what keyboards are available where you are, but in Australia they are still selling branded ones.  But you might be lucky to get an unbranded one.

Mine is branded, but it is mostly on the keycaps, all of which I have already replaced except the spacebar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 21:47:41 »
mx brown is a good starter choice.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 22:37:53 »
If "sensational feel" includes tactile feedback then consider the Matias TactilePro or QuietPro. They have gotten great reviews here.

If you want a less expensive mechanical then Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid with MX brown switches is a good bet.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline wetto

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 23:24:38 »
If "sensational feel" includes tactile feedback then consider the Matias TactilePro or QuietPro. They have gotten great reviews here.

If you want a less expensive mechanical then Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid with MX brown switches is a good bet.

Thing is, he lives in the Philippines... Bloody hell, I wonder if there's any store that does international shipping for Matias keyboards... And even if they did, it'd end up costing him around US$ 160~200.

But well, it's a nice board for those who live in the U.S and Canada, of course.
My collection:
More