Author Topic: Someone recommend a DSLR?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline bavman

Someone recommend a DSLR?
« on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 20:48:46 »
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my dad a DSLR to replace his old camera. Today there was a special on a rebel T3i + 55mm, 250mm and 300mm lenses + 16gb sd card for $650 from B&H, but it seems they are sold out now. Anyone know of any other deals or another camera package comparable in the same price range (no more than $700 after tax/shipping though)?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Someone recommend a DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 07:04:15 »
I would go with Pentax K-30, but it's mostly because I'm interested in vintage lenses, and Nikon/Canon cameras don't fit in my hand.

Offline Chau

• .5 Korean, .25 Vietnamese, .25 Chinese, Oz accent
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 07:55:39 »
Hi mate, I haven't checked out any packages. But I would recommend a Nikon dslr, whichever model that's in ur price range. I don't think you'll be dissappointed. I have a d50, which I think was their 1st dslr, with a 18-135mm lens, 6 mb only. it's 7 years old now and still going strong, i have never found the need to upgrade it. (have taken over 20,000 photos) A vr lens would be nice though. :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2012, 13:17:11 by Chau »

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 12:52:50 »
Amazon has a good deal on a similar T3i bundle for $697 (it was $620 this morning but has gone up); here is a link to the sd post with instructions: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=55235006&postcount=2

I have a Nikon D5100 and love it, but it doesn't look like Nikon is running any deals as good as Canon's.

Good luck!

Offline bavman

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 14:06:12 »
Damn, I would have probably taken it for 697, but it looks like its over now...its around 900 something now.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 14:24:10 »
Canon had a referbish t3i with 18-55mm for $392
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:26:43 »
The B&H $650 bundle deal is live again: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=55271130&postcount=2 gogogogogogo!

Offline bavman

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 11:48:54 »
Thanks, I actually saw it earlier in the day and snatched it up. It looks like they changed it now too so you can still order it if its OOS and they'll ship it later.

Offline bavman

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:16:31 »
Got the camera guys! Which i'll be "borrowing" from my dad. Now I really don't know much about photography, but the standard 18-55mm lens isnt cutting it for taking pictures of keycaps very close up. I found out that I'll probably need a macro lens (yes i'm that unknowledgeable about photography) or tubes(?) for magnification.

Could you guys help me find the best solution for $100 max. I know in the world of cameras that not much to go on but its all I'd have to spend right now

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:18:44 »
The 18-55 if fine for close-ups.

For $100 I recommend a 50mm.

What camera are you using?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline bavman

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:20:05 »
Its a t3i. I mean I can get in pretty close with it, but Id like something that would give me more magnification that what I can currently get with it

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:23:15 »
That 18-55mm lens should take very nice pictures.  The 18-55mm lens on my Canon T3 works awesome for taking pictures of keyboards/keycaps.  Examples:

Its a t3i. I mean I can get in pretty close with it, but Id like something that would give me more magnification that what I can currently get with it

Are you looking for more of a macro lens then?  If that's the case, you could always go the cheap route and get a reverse lens mount like I did.  Isn't the best means of achieving good macro pictures, but it gets the job done.

Example:

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:32:21 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline bavman

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:31:14 »
Thanks I'll look into that. How about some of these cheap extensions on ebay that put the lens farther away from the camera:
link

Or these magnification lens:
link

Are any of these any good or just trash?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:33:17 by bavman »

Offline bavman

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:33:36 »
Sorry I was messing with them trying to shorten them. should be good now

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:35:54 »
I've never tried either of these.  Not sure about the first one, I never even knew such things existed until now...

As for the magnification lens, those might work for you, although I would think they would distort the image a bit (kind of like how a fisheye lens would, although less drastic).
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 09:39:06 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline bavman

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 11:21:25 »
Okay thanks for the replies. I'll probably try the reverse mount and the extension tubes first because they're really cheap and I won't care too much if I'm out $5-10

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 11:22:58 »
Okay thanks for the replies. I'll probably try the reverse mount and the extension tubes first because they're really cheap and I won't care too much if I'm out $5-10

Let me know how well the extension tubes work.  If they work well I might get one for myself.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:06:42 »
Last time I tired to take shots of small items (watches/jewelry) with the 70-200 it didnt work as well coz it had a 1.2m MFD and I didn't want to change the lense as it was already on the body at the time.

Back on topic here, I think a 50 1.8 is always a good buy, I'm not sure what the T3i is (we call it something else probably a ###D) but its prolly a crop so the 50 would make a good portrait lens.
Depending on what you want to do next a 10-20 or a telephoto would be good additions.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 19:02:42 »
I'm a big Nikon fan. Have a D3000 that I love.

Offline bace

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 09:32:46 »
I'm a big Nikon fan. Have a D3000 that I love.

I bought a D3000 about a year and half ago and now it's starting to develop hot spots and dead pixels D:
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 09:45:57 »
Oh jeez...hope that doesn't happen to mine!

Offline bace

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 10:08:52 »
Well I never noticed it until I took a picture of something black (my monitor had a black background) and saw a red dot. So then I tested it with the cap on, at high iso and long exposure and then I found 3 dead/stuck pixels ( one red, one green, one blue) and several little white hot spots. I was lucky because I had about 2-3 days before my warranty expired. So I sent it in and got it back in about a week but one red pixel was still present.  :( I would suggest you check your camera for dead/stuck pixels and hot spots every month before your warranty runs out.
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline RinSewand

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:03:00 »
If you happen to be unlucky and miss out if you use something along the lines of Adobe's Lightroom to manage your photo's you can create profiles to mask out the hot spot / dead pixel('s). Worth a look if you need it!

Offline bace

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 13:39:53 »
If you happen to be unlucky and miss out if you use something along the lines of Adobe's Lightroom to manage your photo's you can create profiles to mask out the hot spot / dead pixel('s). Worth a look if you need it!

thanks for the info! I actually have lightroom but rarely use it. I'll definitely look into that.

Logitech G500

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:32:23 »
I bought a D3000 about a year and half ago and now it's starting to develop hot spots and dead pixels D:
I don't think that's a problem, unless you mean blooming and a dirty sensor, which I doubt you meant.
You probably just meant "hot pixels". This is completely normal. As in exceptionaly normal. I have not encountered a DSLR that did not display hot pixels. Nor do I know of any fellow photographer who has not discovered them either. It's part of the technology, it's not a problem, "it's a feature". lol
They are just overcharged or leaking photodiodes.

Oh jeez...hope that doesn't happen to mine!
Chill

Well I never noticed it until I took a picture of something black (my monitor had a black background) and saw a red dot. So then I tested it with the cap on, at high iso and long exposure and then I found 3 dead/stuck pixels ( one red, one green, one blue) and several little white hot spots. I was lucky because I had about 2-3 days before my warranty expired. So I sent it in and got it back in about a week but one red pixel was still present.  :( I would suggest you check your camera for dead/stuck pixels and hot spots every month before your warranty runs out.
Those conditions happen to make hot pixels more apparent. The more strain on the photodiode and the hotter it gets you are likely to achieve the ever glorious hot pixel. WoooHooo!  =P
Learn to spot them quick and edit them in your workflow and you will be all the better off for it. By the way, you don't need to push your camera to the limits for them to appear. Some cameras are a little more prone to them than others (especially older ones) but they move around a lot and they often come and go.

Unless you have a really dirty sensor and are scared to clean it don't send your camera in for hot pixels. You are not doing yourself a favor, and they are not doing anything for you. I promise you.  And I can assure you they will never replace your sensor for said issue or even look at it twice.

Life is good, all is well, go take some photos.  =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:38:18 »
Thanks for the info ClickClack.

Offline bace

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:54:51 »
sorry I meant hot pixels and stuck pixels. I don't understand why you shouldn't send it in if its within the warranty period? Might as well if its free right? they did fix all the hot pixels except for one but after reading what you said thats fine. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:04:55 by bace »

Logitech G500

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 17:10:37 »
D5100. Shoot in Aperture mode and you won't need the dual wheels on the D7100. Not sure what to recommend in the Canon line, since I'm not familiar with their lenses. Body choice will ultimately depend on what lens you want to shoot with.

Offline bavman

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 16:17:58 »
So I ended up opting for this one instead of the $6.10 I linked on ebay, even though its twice as more, just because I have a prime account with amazon and shipping is really fast. I'm sure theres no difference between the 2, but the ebay one comes from hong kong and no doubt will take around 2 weeks at least to reach me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y60DZO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It comes with a 7mm, 14mm, and 28mm extension. I took some sample pics, but theyre not great because I don't have my tripod with me so I had to do them by holding the camera really close.

First one is just the 18-55mm lens, no additions:

This one is with the lens + the 7mm extension:

This one is with the lens + 7mm + 14mm (I think...i might have gotten my pictures messed up):

Not sure about this one...I forgot, but I think its with 7+14mm:

Either way, I'm pretty satisfied for what I spend ($12)
Sure beats dishing out several hundred on a macro lens. The only downside is that electrical contacts to the camera are completely lost so no AF/stabilizer...etc

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:04:23 »
More lighting would be nice.

The pics with the tubes, was it your intention to have that much bokeh or was it just how it turned out?
Maybe try a few stopped down a tad

Offline bavman

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:08:10 »

The pics with the tubes, was it your intention to have that much bokeh or was it just how it turned out?

I think its just because the lens is literally ~1 inch from the key, focus range is very small. It wasn't my intention to do that, just how it turned out.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:09:05 »
Wow, those came out quite nicely.  Now I know what I want for Christmas!  (well, other than CCs, that is :)) ).

tp thread is tp thread

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 17:39:39 »

I think its just because the lens is literally ~1 inch from the key, focus range is very small. It wasn't my intention to do that, just how it turned out.

Yeah I suspected as much.
Looks like the addons do reduced the quality a fair bit, where the white print is especially, it seems rather blurry compared to your kit lens shot.
You've inspired me to take out my dslr and have a go again =)...now I just need a subject...(might take the topre home for a few shots!)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 13:07:07 »
Hey guys im looking for a DSLR anyone care to help?

Offline takaki

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 12:16:41 »
When you are looking for a entry level DSLR, you would definitely come across these few champion DSLR.
Nikon D3200, D5100 and the Canon 550D,600D.

After trying both, the easy and painless conclusion below.
Nikon: Good for people who loves to adjust the perfect settings for the perfect shot. Good for taking RAW photos and doing post photo processing.
Canon: Easy no brainer point & shoot (even at DSLR level) that gives quality photos.

*lousy picture from my phone  :-X*

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 14:39:27 »
You could potentially win one from the below contest / sweepstakes-type thing.  I won a 25 dollar gift card and a few other pieces of junk so the odds may be in your favor.

https://www.sandisk25th.com/
Note: You can only enter 10 times. You can enter 10 times on the same day if you want. Use Code: 54-53-10249

Offline takaki

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 14:46:44 »
But i'm not located in the US :( what is the contest about anyway.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 05:39:55 »
I got a 600D before any of you even replied :D

Offline takaki

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 08:33:37 »
Grats on your buy  ;D, well to be fair i only became active here a week or two ago..

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 09:41:19 »
When you are looking for a entry level DSLR, you would definitely come across these few champion DSLR.
Nikon D3200, D5100 and the Canon 550D,600D.

After trying both, the easy and painless conclusion below.
Nikon: Good for people who loves to adjust the perfect settings for the perfect shot. Good for taking RAW photos and doing post photo processing.
Canon: Easy no brainer point & shoot (even at DSLR level) that gives quality photos.

Just saying, both those cameras do almost exactly the same things. Both cameras have the capabilities you've listed.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline takaki

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 10:37:28 »
yeah, I hope that didn't confuse anybody.
I mean both can take photos in RAW and set all the ISO, aperture and shutter settings you want.

The AF on canon 600D is a lot faster though :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 05:40:51 »
I like my 600D so  far just ordered the Canon 40mm STM pancake lens for it.