Author Topic: As an avid IBM Model F guy....  (Read 3346 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
As an avid IBM Model F guy....
« on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 11:01:47 »
....I bought 2 "broken" Model Ms for part on ebay for an uber cheap sum of $15 shipped.  Turns out both boards are 100% functional and just need a few bent springs replaced.  I open the Model Ms, turn them over to separate the PCB from the barrel plate and.....

What the motherlovin butterflies and cupcakes is this?  Plastic!?  Plastic rivets!  Do I really have to chisel all this off just to replace some springs.  Someone tell me I'm riding the short bus and there's an easier way to separate the PCB and barrel plate on Model Ms.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: As an avid IBM Model F guy....
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 11:06:19 »
Nope.  You'll have to remove all the plastic rivets and do a bolt mod to separate them.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 11:08:19 »
FML....my opinion of model Ms just went way down.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 11:08:20 »
Of course you have to chisel those rivets off. That's why some people do bolt mods for their Model M's, since those plastic rivets are known to get brittle and break off over time.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 11:19:11 »
Melt the rivets down into new keycaps.  Win!  ;D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 12:18:38 »
It's possible to change springs without bolt-modding, I use this contraption...

8426-0

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 12:28:08 »
How old is the keyboard?

And in what year did the springs become broken?

I have always wondered how long springs last.

I guess buckling springs don't last nearly as long as cherry springs / alps springs / etc. due to the weird sideways movement in Buckling Springs?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 12:48:48 »
It's possible to change springs without bolt-modding, I use this contraption...

(Attachment Link)

Teach me....please!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 13:30:43 »
Take Seven Deadly Cocktail Sticks, some sticky tape (not stretchy), a sharp knife, a file, and a 2mm or 3mm drill bit.

0. check that your cocktail sticks fit inside the spring.
1. cut the pointy bits off, and pick a nice smooth one for the centre.
2. bundle together and tape - not too tightly, so the centre one slides.
3. remove the centre one and tidy the ends of the other six.
4. use the drill bit to make a small dimple in the end of the centre one (helps locate it on the hammer).

Removing a spring without damage is not something I've bothered trying to do.

To fit a spring...
1. extend centre and pop a spring on (as in the pic).
2. locate end of centre stick on spring seat on the hammer (use finger to hold spring on stick!).
3. push, and twist (clockwise, iirc). Or just push. Not too hard though. As long as you only go as far as pushing the springs coils up against each other, it will return to it's normal length afterwards. Ideally you want to rotate it so the very end of the spring wire is at the rear of the keywell (or just load the tool with it in that position, if just pushing).

It's mostly successful :D Obviously not as good as opening up the 'board, but a lot easier!
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2012, 13:32:55 by Soarer »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 15:41:50 »
Or if you want to be super lazy, you can order just the internals from Unicomp. As in backing plate + membrane + spring assembly, sans keycaps. They're pin-compatible. (Excepting M13/EnduraPro, which is electrically incompatible.)
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline urbanus

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 16:13:09 »
Removing a spring without damage is not something I've bothered trying to do.

Sandy55's Chopstick of Death method lets you fit and remove springs, (almost) always without damage if you're careful.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:13:39 »
Sweet...it worked.  I used a half baked version of Soarer's tooth pick/cocktail umbrella.  Put the spring on the toothpick, pressed down on the spring while it was on the hammer, and turned clockwise with a pair of needle nose pliers (while the spring was on the toothpick and being depressed on the hammer). 

Now I have one working Model M that I didn't even expect to have.  Thanks guys!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:36:06 »
What kind of connector does that Model M have?  5-pin DIN?

What do you plug it into to know that it works?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:36:51 »
What kind of connector does that Model M have?  5-pin DIN?

What do you plug it into to know that it works?

It uses a PS/2 connector.  I use a PS/2 to USB converter (not adapter) in order to get it working with a modern PC.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:56:13 »
Now I have one working Model M that I didn't even expect to have.  Thanks guys!

Result!

Cocktail sticks...

Toothpicks...

Much the same :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:02:51 »
standard metal picks (i have a fluke branded one that i got with my multimeter many moons ago) work well for this too.

and yes, plastic rivets. it's a bit of a sore spot with the guys at unicomp. on further reflection, rknize and i have decided that it's actually a brilliant design from a manufacturability and uniformity standpoint, but no, it doesn't have the durability one would want.

that said, i have been playing around with bolt tension and thinking very hard about this recently, and i'd prefer to have the unicomp guy's construction jig to melt the plastic rivets down rather than having to bolt everything together any day of hte week.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:40:55 »
Oh, yes, the melting plastic is super-fast and easy in a factory setting.

Bolt-modding is a labor of love, but the results are good and solid. (you should know, mkawa!)

I have a few nice Model Ms laying around that I would like to bolt-mod and sell, but my last experience was disappointing to say the least.

Without making at least $40-50 for the process, it just isn't worth it. I simply would not be willing to put forth the time and effort on rebuilding a 1391401 only to have to sell it at, or below, the current "new" Unicomp price. I did it once and won't do it again.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:13:27 »
It might be worth bolt-modding 122s if you did a layout swap while you had it apart.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:12:29 »
Glad you figured this out before you started chopping rivets.  I've replaced many springs from the top with no issues.
Russ