Author Topic: Leopold keyboard  (Read 2987 times)

Offline SinisterSquirl

Leopold keyboard
« on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 03:56:35 »
Recommended Leopold dealer around south-east-asia?

The closer the dealer the better!

elite keyboards is selling tenkeyless leopolds for 99 dollars, but i do not know where their company is based...

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: Leopold keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:20:11 »
EliteKeyboards.com is in USA.

Leopold is a Korean company.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline SinisterSquirl

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:45:22 »
thank youuuuu

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:52:35 »
Actually you can get the fullsize Leopold for $10.00 less.

I know.  Because I was going to buy one.  But then I found out they intentionally made their spacebar all weirded out and incompatible so that I cannot replace it with any of the standard kewl and beautful spacebar replacements that are available in the market.

So I ended up being forced to get a different keyboard.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline SinisterSquirl

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 06:54:20 »
what do you mean "different" spacebar?
Whats wrong with it? D:

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 08:26:32 »
Take a look at the pics of one of the latest group buys:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34452.0

You can basically forget about it with a Leopold as Leopold doesn't like people changing their keycaps.  That keycap set would look really ugly with a big black spacebar stuck in it.  Don'tcha think?

One of the main reasons people buy Cherry MX keyboards is because it is sooooo easy to change your keycaps around if you want.  There are lots of cute or beautiful or kewl keycaps around to collect.

There is this awesome red aluminum spacebar out that works on most standard keyboards but not Leopold.  Leopold makes their spacebars incompatible.  That is ok, because the manufacturers figured out how to make a "universal spacebar" that works on just about any keyboard.  Awesome right?  No.  Leopold then changed their nonstandard spacebar into another nonstandard spacebar that isn't even compatible with other Leopold keyboards.

Leopold goes to a lot of effort and spends a lot of money creating custom parts and changing around their stabilizers and their assembly line for what?  To keep us from having beautiful keyboards?  I'm not paying for that.

I really wanted a Leopold.  I was actually going to buy 2 of them.  But when I found out what crap they were pulling I cancelled and bought a keyboard with standard keys that can all be swapped out with industry standard parts.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:19:00 »
Actually that GB would work on a Leopold FC200R.  SP makes universal spacebars that have stems for both "Normal" width and "Leopold" width, and they include the off-center stem for Cherry.

8467-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:22:35 by metalliqaz »

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:41:06 »
Ok so the group buy works but it was just that beautiful Red Aluminum spacebar that Feng made that won't work, right?

(I wanted to substitute the Red Spacebar into the Valentine set)

And do FC200 and FC500 have spacebars compatible with each other?

Leopold FC500 is the one I was looking at from EliteKeyboards for $89.00 http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize

Shopping for keyboards can be very confusing.  :-\ :confused:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:43:38 »
FC500 is different.  It's stems are in between the stems on that spacebar for some reason.  Also the keycool 87 because they copied Leopold design.

Also, OP, have you tried http://leopold.co.kr/ ?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:20:22 »
Don't mind TC. He's just bitter because the keyboard manufacturers of the world are out to make his life miserable, "forcing" him to not buy ****.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:42:55 »
So to summarize:
Leopold FC200 is compatible to the group buy thanks to Signature Plastics casting a new mold.

But Leopold changed the FC500 to be incompatible.  Unless all the keymakers of the world spend a lot of money to create new molds to work around their problem.

So if you want the Leopold that can change spacebars you must pay an extra $10.00 for the privilege and be okay with no numpad.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:48:31 »
That's a feature, not a bug.