Author Topic: One key on my Ducky Shine stopped working.  (Read 4765 times)

Offline SteveHex

One key on my Ducky Shine stopped working.
« on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:52:39 »
Hi :)
One of my arrow-keys on my keyboard suddenly stopped working. I've tried rebooting the machine and tested it with aqua keytest. The led still works fine...
I'm not sure how to continue? I've also tried clicking on it like mad...

please help me out :S

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: One key on my Ducky Shine stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:04:35 »
Talk to the person / company that sold it to you.  If it's still in warranty, then they should replace it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:21:52 »
Also try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable.

And if you can, try the keyboard on a different computer.

If the arrow key consistently does not work, then the switch is probably broken (which is rare, but can happen).  Warranty replacement if you can.  If not, it should still be possible to desolder the switch and install a new one (complicated slightly by the plate-mounting and LED).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:05:56 »
If it's only one switch, desolder it and replace a new one. That's easier than shipping it back and forth. Ducky is a Taiwanese-based company, but I'm not sure if you'll have to ship it that far or manufacture warranty.

Offline firebt

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:13:02 »
If it's only one switch, desolder it and replace a new one. That's easier than shipping it back and forth. Ducky is a Taiwanese-based company, but I'm not sure if you'll have to ship it that far or manufacture warranty.

+1

Cherry MX switches are less than a dollar a pop.  Desolder LED and switch, resolder new one.  Problem solved.  Should take no more than 30 minutes.