Author Topic: Does anyone make a do it yourself keyboard kit?  (Read 4803 times)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Does anyone make a do it yourself keyboard kit?
« on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:23:18 »
What I have in mind is a keyboard kit that you put together. For example, I would like a keyboard without switches or keycaps so that I could add my own without having to take others off.

Does anyone make such a board? I know you can order a custom keyboard from WASD but I don;t see an option for leaving off the switches or caps.

Also, I wouldn't want to spend a fortune...

Anybody?

Thanks
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Does anyone make a do it yourself keyboard kit?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:25:37 »
When the GH60 is ready to go it will be DIY.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:32:59 »
pretty much all custom boards cost more after all is said and done than anything pre-made. you have to source and buy switches and many people prefer 'rarer' keycaps because on geekhack rare=cool regardless of practically anything.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:49:39 »
Thanks. I had not seen that. I am only just getting into mechanical keyboards, but I really like building things yourself. Plus I have about 1300 vintage cherry blacks to be harvested off some old boards so I thought it would be fun.

That GH60 is cool but *gasp* I don't  really game on the PC much. I prefer full size keyboards but I suppose having a second TKL style keyboard for occasional gaming could be cool to have.

And yes, I have learned that you never really save money when you build it yourself. I built my AR-15 from scratch and I definitely have more in it than I would if I had bought it together from factory. But I got exactly what I wanted.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:09:58 »
Imsto has some DIY kits in his store
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:18:49 »
A lot of GH users simply prefer the smaller form factor.  IIRC the GH60 isn't built with any specific purpose (you mentioned gaming) in mind.  It will be programmable, so you can customize it to just about any purpose.  Most people (all of them???) who build a GH60 will do so with full-sized switches and keycaps. 
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:19:35 »
Thanks. I had not seen that. I am only just getting into mechanical keyboards, but I really like building things yourself. Plus I have about 1300 vintage cherry blacks to be harvested off some old boards so I thought it would be fun.

That GH60 is cool but *gasp* I don't  really game on the PC much. I prefer full size keyboards but I suppose having a second TKL style keyboard for occasional gaming could be cool to have.

And yes, I have learned that you never really save money when you build it yourself. I built my AR-15 from scratch and I definitely have more in it than I would if I had bought it together from factory. But I got exactly what I wanted.
i game exactly not at all and i love my poker, which the GH60 borrows from in some respects. you might like it too :) once you get used to the spacing between your hands it's hard to go back to a full-size board.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:23:30 »
I've never understood Imsto's DIY kits.  He sells PCBs with no case?  Has anyone ever actually assembled one of those?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:23:59 »
I've seen a few around.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:24:28 »
i havent asked but i always assumed that his 87key kit would fit into the acrylic case that he sells for filco.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:27:24 »
I won't knock it until I try it. I say I wouldn't like a small keyboard but here I sit typing on my small laptop keyboard which I love, mainly because I am used to it.

I do actually use the num pad fairly often though. It is about the only part of the keyboard I can touch type well on without looking down. And currently, I'm doing a lot of data entry on spreadsheets, though that will change soon.

I will definitely stay tuned to the GH60's progress as I love a good project.

Thanks for all the helpful tips.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:29:08 »
there are lots of 10key pads out there. i got used to touchtyping the numrow before getting a 10key but i am still faster on a 10key than anything else. for data entry it's hard to beat.