Author Topic: My filco triggers extra keys  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Mater

My filco triggers extra keys
« on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 05:57:04 »
Hello, I have a wierd problem. When I press left alt or right alt it triggers not only alt but it also reffreshes my browser. Left forces my browser to stop. It is very irritating. With help of Autohotkey I determined that right alt triggers itself refresh and also left control up. Like WTF??? That is on the PS2. On USB my little filco's win key also opened Word and alts behavied differently (now I dont remember how). I tryed to dissable browser refress in Autohotkey through hexadecimal adress, but no sucess there. So is there any hope?
(filco tkl blue ninja)
Thanks, Mater

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: My filco triggers extra keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 13:07:38 »
Weird.  Could be a damaged PCB.  Or some foreign matter that is shorting the traces.  Can you return it under warranty?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 13:23:37 »
I've heard a few very unlikely and strange things in regard to USB keyboards in the last few months.  Strangest yet being a sub-par cable causing the caps lock indicator LED to behave inverted (on for lower case).

If you have any additional components between the keyboard and PC try a direct connection.  It's very strange that the same keyboard behaves differently depending on protocol, but there's the slight chance that it's cable damage.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Mater

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 15:17:38 »
Well first I had it connected directly to my motherboard via USB. Behavied wierdly...than I connected it to the PS2 and it behavied wierdly again (although it is better like it). So it is connected the directest way I can think of. Cable damage is possible but would it do different things depending on the interface??...I dont know but I am beginning to believe everything is possible.
It is still under warranty but I bought it in Japan and that is faaaar away. I am not sure if I kept the reciet (I will have to swoop through my files for that). My girlfriend might go there in the summer but it will be close....
Is there something I can do to test what is the problem or anything???

Offline remmeh

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 19:03:04 »
If it's still under warranty send it back... did your filco always do this?

Offline Mater

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 02:56:34 »
Well it used to do it all the time I guess. Although I did not have much time to test it back there. It will be quite a venture sending it back to Japan. Do you have any idea how long it takes to settle the warranty claim there. Just to know whether my gf will have ti me to do it for me there.
Damn it I love this keyboard and it has to do things like this to me...:-(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 03:17:02 »
Have you tried connecting it to a different computer, in case it is a driver problem on the first computer?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mater

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 06:08:27 »
Well I have. It does the same shananigans under win vista. So it leaves me with a damaged keyboard I am affraid :-( Damn this happens to me all the time...Or do you think there is something else I could try?

Offline Mater

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 06:13:39 »
Autohotkey says this is what happens when I press right alt once:

A2  01D       d   5.04   LControl          
A5  138       d   0.00   RAlt              
A8  167       d   0.01   Browser_Refresh   
A2  01D       u   0.16   LControl          
A5  138       u   0.00   RAlt              
A8  167       u   0.00   Browser_Refresh   

this is left alt:

A4  038       d   4.49   LAlt              
A9  168       d   0.02   Browser_Stop      
A4  038       u   0.11   LAlt              
A9  168       u   0.02   Browser_Stop 

As you can see the whole hell breaks loose...very irritating. At least the rest of the keyboard seames to be working properly...

Offline remmeh

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 09:59:00 »
If you opened up the case to get a look at the PCB... it might be a shorted/damaged trace or something like that.

Offline Mater

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 11:37:57 »
Well that would mean voiding my warranty which I am not ready to do just yet. I have it for under 6 months now. Before I disassemble my beloved keyboard I will probably consider that. But I think  it is probable that something like that has taken place there. Shorted circuit of some kind crossed my mind. Or maybe something with the USB chip...but that goes too far from the point where my expertise is sufficient I am affraid...