Author Topic: Analog WASD Gaming Keyboard  (Read 5397 times)

Offline ColPaint

Analog WASD Gaming Keyboard
« on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 16:58:16 »
I didn't think to post this here until now.

From the video description:
Ben modifies a keyboard so the WASD keys provide the same analog control of an Xbox controller. Ben takes apart a standard keyboard to install magnets, Hall effect sensors, and a modified Xbox controller to create a better gaming keyboard.

I think it's a neat idea though I'm not sure about typing on it.
From the looks of it the keyboard he used was a Thermaltake MEKA G1.

Offline khaangaaroo

Re: Analog WASD Gaming Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 20:10:10 »
siiiick

Offline nullstring

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 20:28:48 »
Wow. what a great idea.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 20:48:32 »
What a ****ing terrible idea.
I love Elzy

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 21:07:22 »
Of course, for almost any game which is designed as a PC game rather than a console game (and thus doesn't have analog joystick control support), this will do nothing.

Still, for people who are hardcore about playing games that do have joystick support but who prefer using the keyboard (or just don't want to bother having a controller, since it's yet another thing), I guess there could be a reason to go for a keyboard with this system.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Chris_F

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:12:23 »
Of course, for almost any game which is designed as a PC game rather than a console game (and thus doesn't have analog joystick control support), this will do nothing.

I imagine that to only be true for a small number of games. Most AAA games are developed for consoles and ported to PC, or at the very least developed for both platforms simultaneously. There are relatively few PC only titles, and some of them have support for controllers anyway.
Q: The best keyboards ever made are from the early '80s and have buckling springs.
A: True

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:45:12 »

I imagine that to only be true for a small number of games. Most AAA games are developed for consoles and ported to PC, or at the very least developed for both platforms simultaneously. There are relatively few PC only titles, and some of them have support for controllers anyway.
I'll say what I said on DT about this; for the games where this is actually useful you'll most likely be better off just using the Xbox controller. For games that support XInput where a keyboard and mouse is equal or better than the controller this will have no use whatsoever. Let's take his example, L4D; never have I thought "Oh, I'd like to walk slightly slower a bit" and the only games I can see this would be of any use are GTA 4 and Saint's Row: The Third when you're driving. Some might say it's useful for driving games in general, but what the hell are they doing playing driving games with a keyboard in the first place?

I still like the video and it's still a cool mod, but mostly because "why the hell not?"

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:02:43 »
A cool little project, but I feel he would have just had a similar effect using the Cherry Blacks on the keyboard anyway...
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:04:46 »
Interesting but pointless.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:29:23 »
A cool little project, but I feel he would have just had a similar effect using the Cherry Blacks on the keyboard anyway...
Umm... No? The whole point was not the feel of the switches, and while the experience, at least in L4D, will be mostly the same, the whole point of the mod was to make a keyboard where the input corresponded with the pressure applied to the key, similar to the sticks on the controller. That's what I like about the mod, it's mostly just for the challenge, not for the usefulness of it.

Offline jspark

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:18:59 »
it is just for nothing.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:29:05 »
Look at the reaction he did when he first noticed the difference between mechanical and membrane keyboards...  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:31:59 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:44:30 »
Umm... No? The whole point was not the feel of the switches, and while the experience, at least in L4D, will be mostly the same, the whole point of the mod was to make a keyboard where the input corresponded with the pressure applied to the key, similar to the sticks on the controller. That's what I like about the mod, it's mostly just for the challenge, not for the usefulness of it.

Right on!

As a huge Ben Heck fan, I did not expect this reaction from Geekhack. Hack is even in its name, you'd think they'd be more excited about cool DIY things.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline nullstring

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:46:33 »
I'll say what I said on DT about this; for the games where this is actually useful you'll most likely be better off just using the Xbox controller. For games that support XInput where a keyboard and mouse is equal or better than the controller this will have no use whatsoever. Let's take his example, L4D; never have I thought "Oh, I'd like to walk slightly slower a bit" and the only games I can see this would be of any use are GTA 4 and Saint's Row: The Third when you're driving. Some might say it's useful for driving games in general, but what the hell are they doing playing driving games with a keyboard in the first place?

I still like the video and it's still a cool mod, but mostly because "why the hell not?"
Any shooter that also has vehicles could make good use of this... Whether it really matters.. probably not. (The example I'm thinking of is Halo)
Either case, it seems like people would buy this if someone made it.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:17:22 »
Look at the reaction he did when he first noticed the difference between mechanical and membrane keyboards...  :p

LOL I know I wonder if he dropped $150 (Tiger Direct Price) on ThermalTake MEKA G1 without knowing it's mechanical.  Though he probably know because I don't think this mod is possible on rubber dome, maybe he's just surprised at the plate mount.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden