Author Topic: Extra keys that came with Ducky  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Jabudar

Extra keys that came with Ducky
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:40:25 »
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole mechanical keyboard scene.  I just got a Ducky Shine II tenkeyless with MX Browns & white LED backlit.  So far it's a dream and i'm loving it.  THe sound, the feel.  It's magical to say the least...

Anyways, I know Ducky gives the key remover and extra WASD keys to go along with your board.  The only thing is that when I put them on, I noticed they're substantially bigger than the other keys.  I'm attaching an image to go along with this.  Is this normal?  I notice that the Ducky keys are a bit smaller than your average keys (maybe I'm wrong, correct me please).

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
Re: Extra keys that came with Ducky
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:45:45 »
Very odd.  I'm checking with Ducky on this for you now.  You do have them pushed all the way down right?
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:47:55 »
Yup, make sure you push them all the way down with a little bit of force (not too much tho).  And welcome to Geekhack!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:48:30 »
Very odd.  I'm checking with Ducky on this for you now.  You do have them pushed all the way down right?

I do.  Don't want to push down any harder, otherwise I might send my index finger through the table...

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:50:47 »
I tried to wiggle & push, and I think I got them down a BIT further, but there is still a bump, and my finger while rolling across the keyboard will bump & stop at either side of them because they are protruding more than the others.

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:55:50 »
I just took some of the keycaps off to put them side by side for a comparison, and they look like exactly the same size.  Yet they won't go down as much. The blacks keys (with the same force) push right back into place with all the other keys.

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 10:58:30 »
I believe that the red WASD keys that came with my QFR's are the same. Not sure if it's to elevate them for "gaming" or what.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 13:13:57 »
I have a Ducky Shine 1, and the extra keys did seem a bit higher at first.  But after taking them off and putting them back on a few times they settled down to the same height as the others.  Probably just a bit tight as they are new.  I also found the factory keys a bit tight to remove the first time, so I imagine they were machine-fitted (rather than finger-fitted).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline firebt

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:06:02 »
I have a Ducky Shine II (White LED Cherry Reds) and I never had that issue.  All the same height. 

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:41:12 »
I have a Ducky Shine 1, and the extra keys did seem a bit higher at first.  But after taking them off and putting them back on a few times they settled down to the same height as the others.  Probably just a bit tight as they are new.  I also found the factory keys a bit tight to remove the first time, so I imagine they were machine-fitted (rather than finger-fitted).

Hmm, strange.  Maybe I'll continuously take them on and off to see if it'll wear them in a bit.  Don't want to be too aggressive with pushing down though...

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 14:43:47 »
I have a Ducky Shine II (White LED Cherry Reds) and I never had that issue.  All the same height.

I compared the keys side by side (red/black) and they seem exactly the same size.  Maybe like what rowdy said- they're just new and tight. I try to wiggle and push, but it doesn't ever seem to get to the same depth as the other keys on the board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:03:01 »
Although unlikely, is there anything stuck in the stem underneath the keycap?  Maybe the plastic is not formed properly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:31:15 »
I know on the CM QFR the WASD keys are raised slightly. I never used the ones that came with my Ducky, they're still in the box.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:38:06 »
I know on the CM QFR the WASD keys are raised slightly. I never used the ones that came with my Ducky, they're still in the box.

Maybe they're meant to be that way then. Although I've seen/read nothing about the keys being raised slightly on the ducky before.  No one has mentioned it.

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:38:52 »
Although unlikely, is there anything stuck in the stem underneath the keycap?  Maybe the plastic is not formed properly.

I checked underneath, and there nothing that look different or in the way.  Very strange.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:44:31 »
Stick something into the stem to see how deep it is?
I just got new caps for my QFR and they were really tight, sometimes you might have to push a bit harder than you're comfortable with.
Never noticed any height difference when I had the red WASD caps on before the new caps arrived, although it might've been there. Raising them slightly does keep with the gaming focus thing.

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:31:03 »
Stick something into the stem to see how deep it is?
I just got new caps for my QFR and they were really tight, sometimes you might have to push a bit harder than you're comfortable with.
Never noticed any height difference when I had the red WASD caps on before the new caps arrived, although it might've been there. Raising them slightly does keep with the gaming focus thing.

I guess I could stick something in to somehow measure.  I pushed darn hard. Much more than any key would need to pop into place.  Am a little reluctant to push much harder.  I mean I could see the gaming aspect. Helps you fall into place.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:42:15 »
Compare those red WASD with the original WASD when they're both flat on the table, and check if the have the same profile height. Then check the stems to see it's the reason that the cap might not get pushed down all the way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:11:21 »
If it doesn't really bother you, then just fit them on as they are, use them for a few days or a couple of weeks, and see if they settle down a bit.

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:57:57 »
Compare those red WASD with the original WASD when they're both flat on the table, and check if the have the same profile height. Then check the stems to see it's the reason that the cap might not get pushed down all the way.

As I said in some other post above, I did that.... and apparently they're the same width, height, etc. The little "+" key under the keys looked just about the same depth, and width.  Just a little strange. 

If it doesn't really bother you, then just fit them on as they are, use them for a few days or a couple of weeks, and see if they settle down a bit.

Yeah, it doesn't feel THAT different, but I sometimes bump my fingers.  Maybe it's just something ill get used to after a few days of use.

Offline firebt

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 06:29:20 »
Depth and width wont matter as much. I got this zinc Esc key that sits slightly higher than my other keys (doesn't matter since its Esc anyway) but it was actually because the stem (where the + sits) is actually slightly longer.  If you notice, the cherry switch + male insert isnt that deep, and usually the female + on the key is always deeper.  If it bugs you that much, can probably lightly sand some of the stem until it sits properly.  Don't grind anything else, keep in mind the its the switch plunger that bottoms out, not the sides of the key as you can still wiggle the key when you bottom out.  Hope this helps. 

actual picture of my Ducky Shine 2 with Cherry Reds. 

Offline Jabudar

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 08:11:19 »
Depth and width wont matter as much. I got this zinc Esc key that sits slightly higher than my other keys (doesn't matter since its Esc anyway) but it was actually because the stem (where the + sits) is actually slightly longer.  If you notice, the cherry switch + male insert isnt that deep, and usually the female + on the key is always deeper.  If it bugs you that much, can probably lightly sand some of the stem until it sits properly.  Don't grind anything else, keep in mind the its the switch plunger that bottoms out, not the sides of the key as you can still wiggle the key when you bottom out.  Hope this helps. 

Show Image
actual picture of my Ducky Shine 2 with Cherry Reds.

I kept them on last night while I finally installed it into my home PC (got it at work right before going on a vacation, and first time home in 7 days).  After playing games on them/typing for a few hours, and wiggle/pushing them down a bit, I believe they went down even further.  But not as far as the others.  I believe it's something I'll get used to, but I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.  But maybe I'll try to sand the "+" key in the back of the keys a bit... Not too sure how much I trust myself though.

Offline firebt

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 16:16:24 »
Don't sand actually, I take that back.  Try to use a small, flat file that can make sure you still get a very flat profile.  You don't want the keycap to be sitting on the plunger without solid contact (this will cause excessive wiggle and eventually premature failure of either plunger or keycap).  I would just let it be, and don't force it down too hard.