Author Topic: KBT One, and more on the way!  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Turbinia

KBT One, and more on the way!
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:21:15 »
Just got a new KBT One from mechanicalkeyboards.com. Wow is all I have to say. I have a Dolch keyboard with blues from a network sniffer and an NMB with the equivalent of blues, but the feel of this keyboard is way ahead of both of those. First off is the weight, It is at least twice as heavy as the others, and much more stiff. I don't know whether it is the really stiff plate or what, but the keys also have a pretty different feel from the Dolch. The Dolch feels like it is lighter and there may be a bit more tactile feel from these eys. The NMB has never had a smooth action to the keys so no real comparison there. Not being a well abused and second hand may have something to do with how good this keyboard feels. The other keyboards likely have ABS caps, because these have a totally different feel to them (I know the NMB is ABS, not sure about the Dolch). No plastic creaking and very nice rubber feet. The cord can exit out either side or the center, something I would miss with keyboards coming with the detachable cables more often now. Legends are very slightly raised, but I hardly notice it as I don't rest my fingers on the keyboard when I am typing.

Completely pleased with the purchase so far. Thought about changing my order when I saw the extra function keys where I couldn't swap a standard set of keycaps, but I am already using the things. I never used the context key before so it as a function key is more useful to me. Other than that the layout is standard, and I welcome the return of the windows key to my short cuts.

I also have on the way a QuickFire Rapid with greens and some PBT keycaps with purple legends for it, wish that came in white. Needed the 10key though for home use with Blender. The QFR will supplement the Dolch at work. My desk is currently a folding table in the computer lab/server room so no one cares about the noise. If I fall in love with the greens I may consider the Ducky DK9008G2. Anyone know how that would compare quality/feel wise to the KBT?

Now for a pretty picture!
Oooo shiny. New mouse as well, G5 had a short in it so went with what i knew in the G500. Lets see if anyone knows what the little black contraption on the shelf above the monitors is...

*if anyone wants to see some more close up shots I can oblige tomorrow with better lighting, I don't plan on taking it apart any time soon.
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: KBT One, and more on the way!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:35:54 »
Thanks for the info!

I wonder how the KBT One compares to the KBT Pro...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:37:01 »
Thanks for the info!

No comparison.  That's an apples to supercomputers type comparison.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:39:52 »
Thanks for the info!

No comparison.  That's an apples to supercomputers type comparison.

But according to advertisements from the G5 era, Apples are supercomputers... :p

I know the two have different feature sets; I just thought it'd be interesting to put one KBT full-size against the other.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:36:03 »
The pro is definitely not standard full-sized in terms of keyboard feel.  It's very thin and it does not elevate in the back as high as most other standard keyboards.  I feel as though its construction is very stylized, but it has a plate and everything.  Very sturdy internal construction, but it feels entirely different than what I'm used to.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 18:55:23 »
The keys feel different than Dolch because the default KBT One keys are PBT, and I'm guessing Dolch is ABS doubleshot.  I'd keep the stock keys actually.

Since you're the first person that got it now it's your responsibility to find out where it's made LOL.  You can do the simple part first, flip your keyboard over and see the country of manufacture, we'll start from there.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Turbinia

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 19:01:35 »
Surprised I am the first to get one. Did try to order the One and Oni through Qtan, but he ran out of both.

Taiwan, and as far as I understand it is made the same place as the Poker/Pure/Race by people that were formally KBC. I may be mistaken though.

Not sure if it helps in identification, it is a red PCB with allot of cross hatching, still reluctant to pop this thing open.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 19:03:42 by Turbinia »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 19:18:19 »
Ohhhh that's a good sign, Taiwan typically indicates quality.  Also red PCB = double layer.

Come to think about it, it look pretty much identical to Ducky, are they made in the same place?

Also $126 is a steal for mechanical keyboard with all PBT keys.  I have a feeling it uses Cherry stabilizer isn't it (Though to be honestly I've never tried Cherry stabilizer yet just heard stories).  :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 19:19:50 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Turbinia

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:08:06 »
Yep cherry stabilizers. Feel better than the costarish ones my other boards have.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:16:28 by Turbinia »

Offline pitashen

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:29:50 »
Is there no one considering the KBTalking Oni? I thought the solid old school cabling is actually a pretty nice feature. Compare to other tenkeyless available out there that is.

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:33:58 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:40:43 »
Surprised I am the first to get one. Did try to order the One and Oni through Qtan, but he ran out of both.

Taiwan, and as far as I understand it is made the same place as the Poker/Pure/Race by people that were formally KBC. I may be mistaken though.

Not sure if it helps in identification, it is a red PCB with allot of cross hatching, still reluctant to pop this thing open.

People here don't like fullsized boards. We already talked about the Oni in another thread. It's a good board for the money. Don't think it is a better buy than a QFR @ $60 or less.
It designed by Vortex. Vortex is not KBC.
Already popped mine open. Has LED holes on the plate and solder pads on PCB in the Filco location. It is like a Filco plate but with more cutouts. The PCB is designed to serve as foundation to several configurations. There are soldering points for female mini USB connector between escape and F1. I noted this when the board was still a prototype. It is more than likely this is the same PCB design that was used in Vortex's aluminum board prototype. There aren't other boards on the market with this design yet though.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:43:42 »
Hard to think of anything from Vortex has being high quality...  Are these really that good?