Author Topic: Ducky Shine II and Linux  (Read 2944 times)

Offline dimm0k

Ducky Shine II and Linux
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 19:03:43 »
So I finally joined the mechanical keyboard community with a Ducky Shine II and am loving it so far.  The only thing I noticed is that the NumLock LED is on when it should be, however the ScrollLock and the CapLock never light up though they do do what they're supposed to.  Anyone know what's up?  The LEDs work fine in Windows 7 BTW...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine II and Linux
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 19:05:26 »
I use a Ducky Shine (version 1) on a Mac, and Num Lock does not light up (Macs do not have that facility).

Maybe Linux is just not recognising the key code when you press those keys.  Although Caps Lock is suspicious.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melchior

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 20:52:17 »
It probably has to do with the multiple HID profiles aliasing - there are N number of virtual keyboards to allow registering for N-key roll over.

Its a nasty steaming hack, but then you'd be limited to USB's ~64 key rollover limit...IIRC.

Somehow the numlock indicator was on the 1st keyboard, the others elsewhere...linux has no idea which keyboards are real.
(KB should probably just merge all the LEDs in software)

This is another reason why PS/2 is still superior -  The USB HID profiles have a great many limits, this isn't even the worst - have you ever wondered what the USB  (UHCI) software stack does to latency?

It destroys it.
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline dimm0k

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 21:47:13 »
Thanks for the replies!  I wish there were more PS/2 support in keyboards, but they all seem to be going the way of USB...  just curious, would one suffer these hacks if it was a PS/2 keyboard with a USB adapter?