Author Topic: QFR Switch Inconsistency  (Read 1052 times)

Offline WooHu

QFR Switch Inconsistency
« on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 21:14:09 »
Hi, I just got my new Quickfire Rapid from Amazon (overbranded edition :( ). The keyboard is nice but I'm having some issues with how some of the keys feel. A lot of the keys on the keyboard feel less tactile and sound less clicky then normal. For example, when I first opened the box, the "E" key produced little or no click but still registered fine. The loudest keys on the keyboard are "Q" and the Left Windows key (Alt because I use it on a Mac). Most of the other keys seem a lot quieter and less tactile then those two which I'm using as reference. The "E" key started to get more clicky and tactile after a couple hours of using it, but I'm still having issues with most of the keys on the bottom row (excluding spacebar and left win). I've tried taking off the cap and pressing the switch down then blowing with compressed air, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've been spamming the buttons I'm having issues with for most of today and it still feels weird. A lot of the keys on the keyboard sound quieter then others.

I also have a problem with the right shift, when I press it off center it doesn't click. This feels the same as my Blackwidow (which I thankfully returned before it was too late). Isn't the stabilizer in the shift the same as the one in the space bar. My enter key very quite in general when I press it.

Should I be worried or does this keyboard take some time to wear in the keys to their full volume? Thanks!

Quickfire Rapid (Blue) | Apple Aluminum Wireless Keyboard | Razer Deathadder

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: QFR Switch Inconsistency
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 21:51:27 »
I have a Ducky Shine with MX blues, and some keys do not click, although they register fine.  I suspect it is just slight variations in manufacture of the switch mechanism.

As for the stabilisers, maybe pop the keycap off (carefully, in case something is broken) and make sure the pins are still fitted properly.  Although the stabiliser pins on my QFR were almost impossible to remove from the keycaps, maybe one of yours has fallen out and just needs to be fitted back in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WooHu

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 11:16:46 »
The stabilizer is fine, the key works and all it's just that I don't get a click and it's a lot harder to press compared to the space bar. When I press the left side of the key, I get no click and a tiny bit of tactile feedback, and when I press the right side of the key, I get a normal sound and bump. I poped the cap off the switch and looked under the key and nothing seemed wrong with it.

I've noticed something with my left alt key in which I press it, it feels like plastic on plastic sliding against each other as the key goes down making the key a lot stiffer (especially if I press it off center).

Thanks!
Quickfire Rapid (Blue) | Apple Aluminum Wireless Keyboard | Razer Deathadder

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 15:47:50 »
Variation in switch manufacture, most likely.  I have similar with one of my Duckys (whereas the other one is fine).

If it really bothers you, see if you can return the keyboard, although as all keys work (and click, if you press then right) the vendor might hesitate.

Or, if it is out of warranty, one possibility is to replace the switches yourself (but will probably require desoldering the old switches and soldering new ones in).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ