Author Topic: Hey!  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Germiphene

Hey!
« on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 01:08:16 »
I'm glad I found you guys!  See, I have had this need over the last year or so, to find the best keyboard I could find.  I started with a Rosewill mechanical, next a Razer blackwidow, then to a steelseries, followed by a Realforce 84, to a HHKB.  These are the keyboards I've kept (well, the rosewill died, should have kept it for parts!), so I'm not counting a number of other ones that didn't last very long at home at all!

I'm on a quest guys.  I need to find that keyboard where I touch it, and unicorns jump out from behind a pot of gold, and singing "we are the champions."  I have faith in you random internet peoples! 

Anyway, nice to meet you all!  I'll see you around!

Germiphene
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hey!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 02:46:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

We have unicorns around here - pink ones.

Sounds like you have tried a good range of keyboards.  Maybe a buckling spring one should be next.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Germiphene

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 09:26:45 »
Pink ones you say! Well that's a start.

Yes, I remember when I was really young having a Buckling spring keyboard.  I really liked typing on it.  But then my parents got the smaller and "better" keyboards that came with the newer computers.  Later on I worked for a computer firm building computers.  They had a back room FILLED with old IBM keyboards.  Such a waste when I look back.  I should really go see if they have them still!

Yep, that may be my next move.  Is clickykeyboards the best place to find model M boards?
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:54:01 »
Could be.  Or eBay - bargains sometimes turn up there.

Or if you want to try the modern equivalent from the company that took over their manufactuer: http://www.pckeyboard.com/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ