Author Topic: Seeking a smaller Model M right shift key  (Read 10510 times)

Offline TheRavenDog

Seeking a smaller Model M right shift key
« on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:30:35 »
Does anybody know where I could find this smaller right shift key?

Unicomp is the obvious option, but the quality of the lettering on their newly printed keys is... different than I desire (see the "Close" key in the picture below).

I've been wanting to use the secret keys just inside the left and right shift keys (as additional modifiers) on my Frankenboard Model M.

The smaller left shift is easy to acquire from a 122-key Model M board, but the smaller right shift key is hard to find.

Many Thanks,
Chris.
The dream...                     The reality...

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Seeking a smaller Model M right shift key
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:31:48 »
I might have one on a spare terminal keyboard at work, will check for you.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:38:52 »
I've been wanting to use the secret keys just inside the left and right shift keys (as additional modifiers) on my Frankenboard Model M.

Wait, what?  There are "secret keys" under the the shift keys? I am going to have to drive back to the office to investigate!

Or is this part of the "Frankenboard" Model M you have?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 19:56:48 »

Wait, what?  There are "secret keys" under the the shift keys? I am going to have to drive back to the office to investigate!

Or is this part of the "Frankenboard" Model M you have?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Mmmmm.... secret keys....

There are 5 secret keys on most Model Ms.

Left Shift: ScanCode 0056
Right Shift: SC0073
NumPad Enter: SC0078
NumPad Plus: SC007E
Backspace: SC007D

One has to Bolt-Mod the board and then add the spring assemblies (but that's just good clean fun!).

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:00:17 by TheRavenDog »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:01:43 »

One has to Bolt-Mod the board and then add the spring assemblies (but that just good clean fun!).

So -- among other things -- I can split my numpad "+" and add an "=" ?  Hooray!

Thanks very much indeed!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:13:15 »

So -- among other things -- I can split my numpad "+" and add an "=" ?  Hooray!

Thanks very much indeed!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Unicomp even has a normal sized keycap with just the equals sign on it (it's part of their Macintosh keyboard layout). Although I think I've seen it on old Model M 122 keyboards.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 20:41:02 »
If the stem is in the center of that shift key, I might have one that would work, although it would not look like that one. I am half-remembering that it is stepped on both sides.

I have never seen the one that you are showing.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:02:02 »
It's only the Japanese keyboard that has the smaller right shift key, while the International keyboard has the smaller left shift key. They're "secret keys" on other keyboards since the matrix sheet is standardized, so that the different keyboard variants can be produced without having different molds for the basic keyboard.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:14:46 »

One has to Bolt-Mod the board and then add the spring assemblies (but that's just good clean fun!).

I found 6:
Left shift
Backspace
Right shift
Numpad_+
Numpad_Enter
Numpad_0

The pair under the shift keys are definitely placed for odd size keys.  But adding 1x keys to the other four seems to be easy-peasy.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Now if only I could do that to the 10-key pads on my MX full-size keyboards!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:25:10 by samwisekoi »

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:51:00 »

I found 6:
Left shift
Backspace
Right shift
Numpad_+
Numpad_Enter
Numpad_0

The pair under the shift keys are definitely placed for odd size keys.  But adding 1x keys to the other four seems to be easy-peasy.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Now if only I could do that to the 10-key pads on my MX full-size keyboards!

Does the Number Pad Zero Secret key generate a scancode for you?!?

With various Model M and Unicomp controller boards I don't get a scancode for that position. If you're getting a scancode for that position and be very interested in what controller you have.

Thanks, and have fun with secret keys...

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:54:30 »

Does the Number Pad Zero Secret key generate a scancode for you?!?

With various Model M and Unicomp controller boards I don't get a scancode for that position. If you're getting a scancode for that position and be very interested in what controller you have.

Thanks, and have fun with secret keys...

A scan code?  Man, I just pulled the keycaps off. ;)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:38:31 »
I don't know whether it followed through to the Model M, but the Model F has a switch under both barrels of NumPad 0

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 20:20:03 »
I don't know whether it followed through to the Model M, but the Model F has a switch under both barrels of NumPad 0

I think it is fantastic that the tools being used are an old hammer and old linesman's pliers.

Perfection!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 01:28:50 »
Can't you split the spacebar as well like this board?

http://i.imgur.com/j3E3D.jpg
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 15:37:11 »
Can't you split the spacebar as well like this board?

http://i.imgur.com/j3E3D.jpg

Just checked on my Unicomp Model M controller: There is a barrel in that position under the space bar. But there doesn't appear to be any membrane under it. It definitely doesn't generate a scancode.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:15:26 »

The extra pads on the 122-key Model F were to accommodate its obscure half-brother, the 127-key IBM 4980 terminal keyboard -

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 16:25:06 »
Did you find the small shift key?

I may have on that will fit, but I am sure I do not have one with that step configuration.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:34:17 »

I may have on that will fit, but I am sure I do not have one with that step configuration.

I got one for the M-60 project.  Unicomp called it "1.75x "Shift" in Pebble" and unfortunately it came with the word "Shift", but not the Arrow.

Open a support ticket, and specify exactly the legend you want and they should be able to make it for you.

http://support.pckeyboard.com/index.php?a=add

Good luck!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:23:48 »

I don't have a preference regarding the step configuration. Single-level would be just fine.

I'd be happy to trade. Are there any keycaps you need? I've got a bunch of various keycaps and stems.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 08:33:30 »
Sorry for the necro, but I have been playing with my 122 key Model M terminal board and have some info that may be relevant:

Firstly, the Caps Lock key fits the right shift barrel (both the right size and stem is in the right position) and looks just like that stepped shift, just with the wrong label.

Secondly, the 122 key Model M (at least my 1394312) has the barrels AND membrane elements for all the positions of the 127-key IBM 4980 terminal keyboard that ch_123 shows the picture for, so all the positions can be used. I haven't checked the scancodes sent, but I'm replacing the controller on mine anyway.

I'm converting mine to 60% and will probably go with a standard ANSI layout, but with small left shift (like the ISO layout) and extra key to the left of Z. I'll use that for `~. In the meantime I have 1x keycaps on all the barrels and will wire up my Teensy controller to be able to use all the positions, so I can alter the layout whenever I like.

With this in mind, I would also like to get ahold of a 1.75x right shift key. Did you ever come right with this, TheRavenDog?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 11:29:12 »
If the wrong legend was too bothersome, you might be able to get blank RGB caps for your Shift/Control/Alt positions.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:44:58 »
Sorry for the necro, but I have been playing with my 122 key Model M terminal board and have some info that may be relevant:

Firstly, the Caps Lock key fits the right shift barrel (both the right size and stem is in the right position) and looks just like that stepped shift, just with the wrong label.

Secondly, the 122 key Model M (at least my 1394312) has the barrels AND membrane elements for all the positions of the 127-key IBM 4980 terminal keyboard that ch_123 shows the picture for, so all the positions can be used. I haven't checked the scancodes sent, but I'm replacing the controller on mine anyway.

I'm converting mine to 60% and will probably go with a standard ANSI layout, but with small left shift (like the ISO layout) and extra key to the left of Z. I'll use that for `~. In the meantime I have 1x keycaps on all the barrels and will wire up my Teensy controller to be able to use all the positions, so I can alter the layout whenever I like.

With this in mind, I would also like to get ahold of a 1.75x right shift key. Did you ever come right with this, TheRavenDog?

No, I never found a easy supply for this. Unicomp indicated that I could purchase a Portuguese key cap set. But I didn't want to spend that much money. I settled on using a Caps Lock Key (which is ever-so-slightly too large). It works well.

I haven't tried placing a custom order for the key with Unicomp. Given my past good experiences with Unicomp, I'm confident they could deliver the key, but I suspect the print quality would be different from the rest of my keyboard. That's always the problem with IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp key caps: the sharpness and thickness of the printing various.