Author Topic: Problems with sticky(?) keys when gaming  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Sinzz

Problems with sticky(?) keys when gaming
« on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 04:10:37 »
I recently got a poker with MX reds and after gaming on it for a while (FPS) I started noticing that my character gets stuck running in a direction. I have two keyboards plugged into the computer, could that be something affecting it? Or would it be something wrong with the keyboard? perhaps the fact that it's uneven?
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Problems with sticky(?) keys when gaming
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 04:23:14 »
I get that very occasionally, but only with one keyboard plugged in.  As the game, keyboard and computer work flawlessly any other time, I put it down to an unusual combination of circumstances that just did not register a key release and kept me running forwards.  It has happened a couple of times with that particular game, so I put it down to that game.  The same key in other games does not do this.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 04:38:59 »
that is exactly what's happening with mine, except it happens across multiple games. Any other usage seems to be just fine.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 05:42:25 »
The most likely culprit is normally a game programming bug.

But...

Since it happens to multiple games there is almost no way for that to be it.

So the next most likely is either a bug in the OS or a bug in your keyboard controller.

What OS are you running?

You should do an experiment:
0. Turn off computer
1. Unplug both keyboards.
2. Plug the keyboard you have been having the problem with into the PS/2 port.
3. Play your games and watch your bug disappear. :)

Give it a try and see what happens.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)