Author Topic: maifunctioning QFR pcb board  (Read 2712 times)

Offline hluo87

maifunctioning QFR pcb board
« on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 18:11:37 »
hi
i have a question for you guys about the QFR pcb board.
yesterday, I just took all blue switches apart from the board, and soldered clear ones on it. But when i connect to PC, it says the hardware is malfunctioned.
The PC can detect there is something connecting to it, however, the board is not working.
any idea what is wrong with the pcb board? or i just destroyed the board when i was desoldering the switches?
thanks. :eek:

Offline vbrenny

• what doesn't kill you gives you RSI
Re: maifunctioning QFR pcb board
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 18:23:18 »
I don't know a lot about the QFR and/or its board, but.. basic electronic soldering tips:
-Did you check the connections to see if you're not short-circuiting anything?
-Are the solder points shiny and even?
-When dessoldering, did you leave the soldering iron at the contacts for too much time, enough for overheating of the components?

Also, judging by a general rule, if windows is not recognizing the hardware it's more likely to be something related to the controller than to switches. Of course, a short-circuit could even permanently damage the controller, but I prefer to think it is something just temporarily broken.

Good luck with that!
Owns: Cherry G80-8113 w/ browns.
I'm looking for somebody to proxy a QFR for me. I'll pay. PM me!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 19:59:25 »
Re-seat the controller board, re-seat the internal cabling.

Also, for future reference to anyone else thinking of doing this.  Take the controller board out of the QFR before doing anything else to the board.  Less likely to mess it up that way.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline hluo87

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 00:36:30 »
I don't know a lot about the QFR and/or its board, but.. basic electronic soldering tips:
-Did you check the connections to see if you're not short-circuiting anything?
-Are the solder points shiny and even?
-When dessoldering, did you leave the soldering iron at the contacts for too much time, enough for overheating of the components?

Also, judging by a general rule, if windows is not recognizing the hardware it's more likely to be something related to the controller than to switches. Of course, a short-circuit could even permanently damage the controller, but I prefer to think it is something just temporarily broken.

Good luck with that!
thanks for your advice
i will keep trying... :eek:ß

Offline hluo87

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 00:37:32 »
Re-seat the controller board, re-seat the internal cabling.

Also, for future reference to anyone else thinking of doing this.  Take the controller board out of the QFR before doing anything else to the board.  Less likely to mess it up that way.
yeah, i will take the controller away before try something else...ß

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 02:12:26 »
i connect to PC, it says the hardware is malfunctioned.

It sounds like there is a problem with the controller components, not the actual switches. I don't get why you didn't take the controller off first. It's on a daughter board that isn't even soldered on, so you can just pull it off. All the essential and more sensitive things are on the duaghter board, not the main PCB.