Author Topic: Hello All! (Mechanical KB addict since February 2012)  (Read 1543 times)

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
Hello All! (Mechanical KB addict since February 2012)
« on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 05:24:29 »
Hey guys,

Just want to say I was fortunate to be introduced to the world of mechanical keyboards earlier this year. As I keep telling my friends now, once you go mechanical, you don't go back to rubber dome! I hope they eventually convert as well! :cool:

My first mechanical kb: Ducky 1008

My first mechanical keyboard was a Ducky 1008, which was a world of difference from my HP DM4 rubber domes lol. I got this from a friend while visiting Taiwan so it has Chinese writings on it. A bit clutter at first, but I'm a decent typer so I got used to it as I don't look at the keyboard much when I type anyway.  :cool:

My second mechanical kb: KBtalKing Pro

About two months ago I got the new Bluetooth + USB KBtalKing Pro (yes, now available in the USA http://kbtalkingusa.com) and there's no going back to regular mechanical keyboards! For starters, this BEAST is one of the best feeling, sturdy built mechanical keyboards I've ever used (yes, way better than the Ducky 1008, and right up there with the nice Filcos and Das' in my opinion), but what's more important is that it is the only one on the market that has Bluetooth + USB, and is multi-pairing, so it can quickly switch between up 11 devices (pair up to 10 BT and 1 USB). It can be completely wireless or USB powered. It is incredible to be working on the PC, and then quickly switch to my Android phone and type a succinct text message with the keyboard @ 70WPM, then switch back to working on my PC all without having to stop and pick up the damn phone!

Anyway, I know this beast that does everything is not for everyone as some may just want what a $90 Ducky or CMstorm has to offer. But if you can afford the $169 price tag and can see the value in having an ALL-In-One input device that feels among the best mechanical keyboards out there, this is actually a great deal! The Matias Tactile One is the closest competition that I know of  but it pairs one BT device, and needs to be tethered via USB for power and has a higher price tag of $199.99. It does look more modern though.

Here's a nice review by a fellow KBT Pro owner on techpowerup:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175068

My third mechanical keyboard?

What should be my next mechanical keyboard? It's hard to top the KBT Pro but I think perhaps some kind of a backlit and more compact mechanical keyboard would be a good third keyboard. Could be a compact one with tenkey (arrow keys bunched up into the main section) or a nice tenkeyless. Be great to have a smaller kb I could carry around that also helps me type better in the dark! Any recommendations on what's out right now or coming in the near future?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2012, 05:27:08 by kbfreak »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hello All! (Mechanical KB addict since February 2012)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 06:45:25 »
Welcome. I just bought a Filco Ninja Majestouch w/ Blue switches and its SO smooth. Nice to see that you already own some mech boards. What switches are you using?

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 13:49:36 »
I've got MX Browns on the Ducky and MX Reds on the KBT Pro.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 15:09:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Enjoy your stay, but mind your wallet ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 15:43:58 »
Thank you Rowdy! Yes, I better watch my wallet that's for sure...too many toys to buy...once you know what's good, you can't go back to the cheap stuff! =D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 16:10:40 »
Exactly.  And then someone posts a picture of a custom keyboard, and you immediately have to get one for yourself.

And the keycaps - oh the keycaps, so many to choose from ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ