Author Topic: Thin vs Thick  (Read 2681 times)

Offline LollyWater

Thin vs Thick
« on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 02:41:26 »
A lot of people talk about the noise when bottoming out but if I'm using O-rings does it really matter?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: Thin vs Thick
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 02:54:07 »
There is still a little bit of top-out noise.

It does not matter to me.

It would only matter if you are hyper sensitive to sound or there is someone else in the room with you who is hyper-sensitive.

If ur bf is in the room trying to sleep then it might matter to him.  :)

I am probably going to order some thick PBT keycaps.  Nothing to do with noise.  I just need a spare set of keycaps.  But I will check them to see if the noise is different.  For Keyboard Science!
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:57:20 »
I am probably going to order some thick PBT keycaps.  Nothing to do with noise.  I just need a spare set of keycaps.  But I will check them to see if the noise is different.  For Keyboard Science!

Thanks, Bud. I'm actually looking at getting the Leopold FC700R and want to know if there'll be a noticeable difference between the thin wonky space bar and a pair of thick blank caps.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 18:45:36 »
In my experience spacebars are always the noisiest key.  The key itself prob makes more noise and the stabilizers can add extra clackiness.

I am typing on a brand new Rosewill Red right now and the spacebar is only a teensy bit noisier than the other keys.

Many years ago I had some keyboard that had a very noisy spacebar.  You could hear the metal stabilizer bars rattling around in there.  It didn't bother me.  It was just an observation.

I never thought of this before... but my coworkers always called me "Machine Gun James" because they could always hear me banging away on that evil rubberdome keyboard from way down the hall.  I thought they were just making a friendly joke about my frantic typing all day long.  But maybe the noise was irritating them?  And they were just to polite to say so?  Donno.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 18:57:45 »
O-rings get rid of some of the noise, but not all.

I think that they make the experience more pleasant, but not silent.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 19:52:51 »

Thanks, Bud. I'm actually looking at getting the Leopold FC700R and want to know if there'll be a noticeable difference between the thin wonky space bar and a pair of thick blank caps.

The Leopold 700r is one of the few with a PBT space bar...and I think Leopold uses some sort of doubled up PBT which makes them feel thicker...

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 06:42:29 »

Since  when does the FC700R have a wonky spacebar? The spacebar on mine doesn't feel or look any different to any others I have, other than the compatibility due to stems.. 
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 19:52:43 »

Since  when does the FC700R have a wonky spacebar? The spacebar on mine doesn't feel or look any different to any others I have, other than the compatibility due to stems..

Yeah..in fact, it actually feels a bit more solid than other space bars...which I attribute to it being PBT..it certainly isn't wonky or light or thin feeling...