Author Topic: Oh Hi!  (Read 1651 times)

Offline joao

Oh Hi!
« on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 17:25:49 »
Hey guys!

My name is joão (tricky name to pronounce... let's just say it's John) and I live in Portugal.
About five days ago I decided that was time to get a new keyboard, my first mechanical keyboard.

(In my mind, a mechanical keyboard will make me a better gamer and a better programmer, but I don't think that I'll improve much).

But apparently, Portuguese stores only like black and red switches, which makes me getting a TKL with browns a bit harder.
So here I am, still looking for a good deal to start this hobby that will certainly empty my wallet.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have a good time here, and I hope I won't feel the black sheep of the community using my old windows keyboard.

Offline a0

• My Site
Re: Oh Hi!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 18:06:22 »
Olá, João! Também sou de Portugal e recentemente juntei-me a comunidade GH... ;)

Hm... It would be better to write in English so that other members can understand too.

As you said it's very difficult to find a decent mechanical keyboard in Portugal. I've searched all the european sites and there are a lot of offers but the shipping to our country is extremely expensive, at least for me... :P
I'm still waiting for my first keyboard and hopefully I'll receive it soon... It'll be the CM Storm QuickFire with blue switches. My first friend here on GH will help me to proxy it to Portugal! :D

// BF6F0265: FB27 BB4C 8F03 4980 C311 0968 E66B 9831 BF6F 0265

Offline joao

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 18:26:47 »
HEY! It's great to find a fellow-countryman!

I was actually thinking about getting that exact same keyboard (but with browns). Can you tell how much it's going to cost you?
I found a website selling it for 150€ with shipping, but that's too much in my opinion :(

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 18:27:19 »
Anyway, I'm sure I'll have a good time here, and I hope I won't feel the black sheep of the community using my old windows keyboard.

Welcome!  Don't worry, you'll be hemorrhaging cash just like the rest of us before you know it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 22:00:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It is expensive getting keyboards shipped to Australia too.  Fortunately we have a couple of stores that sell a reasonable range of boards, but some of the more unusual boards can only come from O/S, which can be expensive.

I hope you can find what you are looking for :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline a0

• My Site
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 10:49:20 »
I was actually thinking about getting that exact same keyboard (but with browns). Can you tell how much it's going to cost you?
I found a website selling it for 150€ with shipping, but that's too much in my opinion :(
Yeah... that's too much. If everything goes as expected I will get mine for approximately €60 with shipping to Portugal. I am not sure though about the customs taxes here in Portugal. Hope I will not have to pay the VAT.
// BF6F0265: FB27 BB4C 8F03 4980 C311 0968 E66B 9831 BF6F 0265

Offline joao

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:35:44 »
Thanks everyone!

a0: That's actually a very nice deal, I hope I can get something similar! And don't worry about the VAT, because they will not charge you more than 20€ (1/3 of the value). And 80€ for that board is still a reasonable price. but hopefully you will not be charged, the risk is minimum ;)