Author Topic: Newb Question - What's A Moogle?  (Read 5111 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Newb Question - What's A Moogle?
« on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 21:54:41 »
I'm still a bit wet behind the ears and I keep seeing posts regarding moggle kits. I've read the DT wiki, but it still doesn't make sense. I understand that they are adapters, I just don't understand why you'd need one, or where it's useful.

Thanks in advance!

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: Newb Question - What's A Moogle?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:14:20 »
You are overthinking it.  There are no adapters.  Just keys.

What is in a moogle kit:
Keys from the bottom row
Caps lock key

Do u already have those keys?
> Yes
Then why would you need a moogle kit?

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:15:56 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:27:55 by esoomenona »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:26:46 »
The moogle kit that esoomenona posted would adapt a set like this:

Your modern Filco/Leopold/Das/etc. has a different set of modifiers, see?

A tsangan kit would take a modern set meant for your typical Filco/Leopold/Das/etc. and make it fit the above keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:37:47 by metalliqaz »

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:27:18 »

Do u already have those keys?
> Yes
Then why would you need a moogle kit?

..... They are for when you don't have keys that match that particular set to fit into the theme sort of thing.. They are used to "complement" the existing keys.

The reason the poster was confused about adapter kit and that is due to the DT Wiki calling it an adapter kit.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:28:52 »
A moogle is a kit that adapts certain keysets to fit a certain standard: this would be your "Filco-like" keyboards, which have a full-touch, center-stemmed capslock key, a longer 2.75x right shift key, two 1.25x control, two 1.25x alt, two 1.25x supers, one 1.25x meta, and a 6.25x spacebar. (Picture courtesy of tsangan)

So far I've been solely focused on KBT and KBC TKL keyboards, so I'm still a bit confused. Two questions:

1. How is this different from a Tsangan kit?

2. The KBC and KBT keyboards appear to be rather fixed in their layout options. Are other keyboards more flexible?

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:31:30 »
Tsangan kits carry different sized keys from a moogle. On the Pure and Race, the modifier keys are different sized compared to the modifier keys on for example the Poker. And the Noppoo Choc Mini has different sized keys as well. So basically a Tsangan kit will be a set that is made with whatever size keys that particular group buy is after.

The main keyboards off the top of my head with different sized modifiers are; Choc Mini, Pure, Race, Phantom, a lot of Korean keyboards, some custom keyboards.. but most common brands like CM and Leopold and Filco use regular sized modifiers, so no Tsangan kit is needed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:33:11 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:35:49 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:28:20 by esoomenona »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:38:06 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think you've helped clear my confusion. Thanks!

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:46:02 »
2. The KBC and KBT keyboards appear to be rather fixed in their layout options. Are other keyboards more flexible?
Every keyboard company makes up their own layout.

Luckily there are a few companies that use the same layout, more or less.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 23:07:51 »
Moogle Kit : Cherry/Korean Custom Sets :: Tsangan : Modern Keysets

It's as simple as that :))
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 00:16:46 »

It's as simple as that :))

Finally, a truly noob friendly statement. Also pretty happy this OP happened since I was afraid to ask myself haha.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 09:41:18 »

Actually it's the other way around.  Moogle kit is for Filco, Leopold, Poker, etc (more modern keyboards)

Tsangan kit is for Korean custom & older Cherry keyboards (non-standard, 1.5x mods & 7x spacebar)

The name Moogle kit came from a Geekhack member who suggested this kit to be made awhile back.  Check out his name in that link and you'll know why it's called Moogle kit. lol

As for tsangan kit, I guess he needs no introduction.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Supergleep

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 10:04:37 »
The original Moogle kit was designed to allow the use of harvested Cherry Doubleshot keys off of (at the time) cheap e-bay POS (point-of-sale) boards on a modern Filco layout.

The Moogle set was done in the Cherry font to match the harvested keys.

edit: picture worth a thousand words, etc...  Original Moogle kit above, unusable (on a Filco layout) harvested Cherry DS keys below. Apologies for the cell-phone pic.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 January 2013, 10:22:14 by Supergleep »
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 11:45:02 »
Kupo!
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:05:30 »
Kupo!
**image snipped**

>_> Beat me to it.
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 17:37:36 »

Actually it's the other way around.  Moogle kit is for Filco, Leopold, Poker, etc (more modern keyboards)

Tsangan kit is for Korean custom & older Cherry keyboards (non-standard, 1.5x mods & 7x spacebar)

The name Moogle kit came from a Geekhack member who suggested this kit to be made awhile back.  Check out his name in that link and you'll know why it's called Moogle kit. lol

As for tsangan kit, I guess he needs no introduction.  :)

I thought of it more as this way:

Moogle "fixes" Cherry sets as Tsangan "fixes" modern sets. I think you're interpretation is probably the more correct one though :P
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline m_enanos

• tbb
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 06:24:16 »
pin this post for the general interest :D

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 10:07:46 »
A moogle is a kit that adapts certain keysets to fit a certain standard: this would be your "Filco-like" keyboards, which have a full-touch, center-stemmed capslock key, a longer 2.75x right shift key, two 1.25x control, two 1.25x alt, two 1.25x supers, one 1.25x meta, and a 6.25x spacebar. (Picture courtesy of tsangan)

Aaaaaah.. and I thought it was a set of "mount frames" for old caps, so i put it under those caps and be able to install them all on modern keyboards.
So Moogle kit is always beige like that?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 10:09:16 »

Aaaaaah.. and I thought it was a set of "mount frames" for old caps, so i put it under those caps and be able to install them all on modern keyboards.
So Moogle kit is always beige like that?

There are moogle kits to match cherry sets:

White On Black
Beige
Dolch
Wyse

etc.

Offline simkev

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 10:24:00 »
I'm still a bit wet behind the ears and I keep seeing posts regarding moggle kits. I've read the DT wiki, but it still doesn't make sense. I understand that they are adapters, I just don't understand why you'd need one, or where it's useful.

Thanks in advance!
A moogle kit is an adapter kit that complements keys from vintage keyboard so that they fit onto a modern keyboard with 1.25 units wide modifier keys, such as Windows keys.

A typical moogle kit contains modifiers for the bottom row and a space bar. It is common for them to also contain a caps lock key with a centered stem (as opposed to off-center stem) and a 2.75 wide right shift key, even though not all users may need them.

The original moogle kits were designed to allow the use of Cherry doubleshot ABS keys (harvested off a cheap keyboard in the Cherry G80 series) on a modern Filco Majestouch. Moogle kits have also been made Dolch and Wyse PCE.

The term "moogle kit" is named after the Geekhack user who first proposed it: Moogle Stiltzkin. A "Moogle" is a type of creature that appear in several games by Square Enix, such as the Final Fantasy series.[1]

The term "moogle kit" (MOOGLEWHITE and MOOGLEBLACK) had been first introduced by 7bit as order-IDs for the Round 3 group buy in early 2011.
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:31:07 »
@simkev -- yeah, I read that in the DT wiki as well, which is what lead to the confusion regarding "adapters".