Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Quasimojo

Greetings!
« on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 23:14:18 »
Hello. One of my first PC keyboards back in the 90's was an ABS mechanical.  At some point I threw it away because it got too dirty (I know, right?).  At the time, I assumed that level of quality was what I should expect out of any board I bought to replace it.  As it turned out, none of the options available to me locally provided that same satisfying mechanical click and feel, and I started down that road of settling for typical, run-of-the-mill consumer keyboards - enticed by gadgets and gizmos aplenty.

While killing a lunch hour at my local Fry's Electronics recently, I stumbled upon a couple mechanical offerings from Corsair and Cooler Master.  I was immediately reminded of just what an enjoyable experience something as simple as typing can be - comfortable and efficient.

So, here I am, back on the trail of the perfect keyboard(s) for me.  I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone here along the way.   :)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 23:40:09 »
Welcome!  I still remember my ABS M1.  Man, that thing was loud!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 03:47:43 »
Welcome to GH. I still have my ABS M1 as well, and I don't like it lol. It pings like the mother of all Pings.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 16:39:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have nerver used an ABS M1, however I did much of my early learning how to program using an NEC APC-H4100E with a really nice clicky feel to it.  Years later I happened to find one someone at work was using as a footrest under his desk  :eek:  Sacrilege!

I rescued it and, despite the missing left arrow key, it brought back so many memories.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ