Author Topic: Problems with reparing a IBM Model M  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Zaunei

Problems with reparing a IBM Model M
« on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 16:31:06 »
Hey
I have just bought a old Model M. Now i have two problems :(
First Problem: The three connectors on the PCBs (http://www.abload.de/img/img_0331d0dox.jpg) are broken. Where i can get new ones ?
                            I searched a lot at the big shops in Germany, but i couldnīt found anything.

Second Problem: The spring of my spacebar is bent. (http://www.abload.de/img/img_0342jne8p.jpg) How can i fix it ?

P.S: sorry for my bad english ;D

Offline urbanus

Re: Problems with reparing a IBM Model M
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 16:51:44 »
For both, I recommend you contact Unicomp (http://www.pckeyboard.com/).  Since you'd only be ordering parts, the postage from the US shouldn't be too bad.

Controller board: send them the exact make/model of the controller (on the white sticker).  They have a large inventory of spares for all kinds of model Ms, so they will probably be able to supply a replacement.

Spring: Unicomp sell springs, for sure.  I suggest you order a pack of 10 or so: they will come in handy if you have future problems.  Then for a technique to swap out springs, Google "sandy55 chopstick of death".

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 16:52:28 »
The connectors don't look broken. What's wrong with them?

As for repairing the spacebar, you will have to order one of these: http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/PVPLASM

You will have to do a bolt mod because replacing the hammer & spring will require the keyboard to be disassembled.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 18:27:20 »
Those connectors are NOT broken. That is how the connectors on that controller version are SUPPOSED to be. They are staggered-offset by design as part of the retention and keying mechanism.

I would however, consider reworking the drain strap (the metal piece) since it looks like it may be pulling out on the inner.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline urbanus

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 18:43:47 »
You will have to do a bolt mod because replacing the hammer & spring will require the keyboard to be disassembled.

No offence but that's bad advice.  Bolt mod is complete overkill for a trivial problem like a bent spring.

As per my previous advice, google sandy55's chopstick of death.  It's a simple method to pull and replace a spring with no disassembly required.

Offline Zaunei

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 18:46:10 »
@urbanus+Magnusian:
Thanks. I will check that. But shipping things from outside germany isnt realy comfortable for me. But it is a option.

@rootwyrm
Yes, why arent broken. But they havenīt realy contact with the cable.
Sorry but i donīt understand what you mean with:
"They are staggered-offset by design as part of the retention and keying mechanism.

I would however, consider reworking the drain strap (the metal piece) since it looks like it may be pulling out on the inner."

My school english is not good enought for that ;D

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:14:06 »
@urbanus+Magnusian:
Thanks. I will check that. But shipping things from outside germany isnt realy comfortable for me. But it is a option.

@rootwyrm
Yes, why arent broken. But they havenīt realy contact with the cable.
Sorry but i donīt understand what you mean with:
"They are staggered-offset by design as part of the retention and keying mechanism.

I would however, consider reworking the drain strap (the metal piece) since it looks like it may be pulling out on the inner."

My school english is not good enought for that ;D

What he means is that the connectors look like that on purpose, they aren't broken.

The other part means that the metal connector for the wire that goes to the steel plate looks like it needs to be resoldered.

No offence but that's bad advice.  Bolt mod is complete overkill for a trivial problem like a bent spring.

As per my previous advice, google sandy55's chopstick of death.  It's a simple method to pull and replace a spring with no disassembly required.

None taken, didn't know about the chopstick method, though I am still wary of it.

OP, if you don't want to order the part from Unicomp to get the spring, you'll have to harvest one from another M. It's not a generic spring. I doubt the postage for both such a small and low-weight item would be all that high even internationally, and I'd be surprised if customs gave you crap over it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:16:44 by Magnusian »
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline urbanus

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 23:35:23 »
OP, if you don't want to order the part from Unicomp to get the spring, you'll have to harvest one from another M. It's not a generic spring.

Or harvest it from the same keyboard.  :)  I've done that before with a dodgy spring: I swapped it with the "Pause" key since I never use that.  It's pretty easy with the chopstick o' death because it works equally well for fitting and removing springs.  It takes about two minutes to pop the keys, chopstick off the springs, swap them and chopstick them back on again.

One tip with chopstick o' death: don't force it.  You can warp a spring by twisting it too much.

Offline Zaunei

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 08:29:20 »
Oh yes harvesting from another keyboard sounds good.
I'll try to get a cheap one.
The connector is bent, that is the problem, because someone has to be gone through with a screwdriver :(