Author Topic: New and impressed  (Read 2329 times)

Offline linkz

New and impressed
« on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 09:35:04 »
Greetings geekhacks, being a new member here and having had browsed the forum, I'm impressed of the amount of information I could get.

Who would have thought that a keycap would go for $100 like the CC skull ('o' )
The group buys are ingenious! And I learnt a great deal about topre keyboards here, didn't even know they existed before.

I'm currently using a MX red switch keyboard, and hopefully a topre once I can afford it. But I haven't seen many custom keycaps for topre, guess I'll look around. Looking to expand my keycaps collection, especially a CC MX skull, do let me know if you have any to sell or a recommendation of where to get some. Not really particular about the color, but I guess I'll have to see.

So I'll be hanging around for a long time, and hopefully be able to contribute to this great community =)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: New and impressed
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:54:35 »
Who would have thought that a keycap would go for $100 like the CC skull ('o' )

Welcome and where did you find it so cheap!  $100 for some of the Clacks is a steal. lol   :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:56:08 »
Welcome, welcome, and good luck on your search!
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline rek55

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:12:31 »
I found these forums after deciding to buy a Das Ultimate and then realizing that having all blank keys makes it very hard to use keyboard shortcuts so I started looking for where I could get some keycap replacements to put letters on some of the keys... And then I found this place. And now I've got two crosshatched laser engraved keys, some cherry red switches in the mail I intend to swap my arrow keys out with, am waiting for the zelda heart keys to become available again, and that's just the start of my new addiction/collection. :)

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:13:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It wasn't that long ago an original Cherry red Esc key would sell for $250 - for a single keycap!

Anyway this should get you started for a few Topre keycap sets: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rek55

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:21:19 »
It wasn't that long ago an original Cherry red Esc key would sell for $250 - for a single keycap!
Really?! It's amazing someone would pay that price.

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:29:26 »
I've seen Clacks sell for 300+
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:27:46 »
Really?! It's amazing someone would pay that price.

Not any more - not since it was discovered that GMK acquired the original Cherry molds, and are producing new Cherry red Esc keys that selk for $5 each.

But only the really super rare ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:44:18 »

But only the really super rare ones.
Yeah, but that is still a ton of money :O
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline linkz

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 10:31:30 »
$250 for a cherry sounds crazy! It looks like a normal custom keycap.
I guess rarity is the key. The cc skull i saw was still on bidding, so i guess it will go way beyond $100, lol.

It just make you feel good to type on a keyboard that you customized. And now I'm seeing aluminium case keyboard, plate, korean, ironman and darth vader keycaps. Never thought that keyboard could get so exciting.

My wife think i'm crazy when i told her that a keycap cost $300 and asked me to use the money to laser my chest hairs instead.

Thanks for the heads up for the topre keycaps Rowdy!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 14:53:35 »
Keycaps > $100 are the exception though.  Apart from girldc keycaps, but they are in a different category all together.

You might keep an eye out in the group buys section - there are a number of Topre fans around here and group buys often cater for, or target, Topre users.