Author Topic: Dye sub vs Engraved !?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline michaellthenerd

Dye sub vs Engraved !?
« on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:43:36 »
I really like both but im conflicted as to which one i should buy from qtan's if only i could have both... Can anyone please explain the main difference between the two besides their obvious look difference ? :-\

Offline jeroplane

Re: Dye sub vs Engraved !?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:13:04 »
You will be able to feel the engraving under your fingertips when you type. On the other hand, the top of dye-sub keys feel completely flat. The general consensus around here is that dye-sub PBTs are the best-feeling and also the most durable.

Go with dye-sub, you will not regret it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:22:20 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:20:09 »
I'd go with dye sub.

Personally I haven't really try yet but I suspect engraved keys will get dirty in the long run.  Like having finger grease build up in those engraved grooves.

Also like jeroplane said, with engraved key you'll feel where the writings are, where as dye sub it's perfectly flat.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:39:29 »
I can barely feel the letters on my engraved caps. Just go with whatever you think looks best.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:16:20 »
I would only ever get black engraved if I go engraved again.  Dirt shows well with engraved keycaps.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline linkz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:35:40 »
I would only ever get black engraved if I go engraved again.  Dirt shows well with engraved keycaps.
Type with chopsticks to avoid having dirts get trapped in the engraved keycaps.

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:54:28 »
Type with chopsticks to avoid having dirts get trapped in the engraved keycaps.

Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline michaellthenerd

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 21:21:35 »
Thanks for the feedback guys I think I am going to pursue dye sub keycaps!  :)